Baltimore Sun on John Angelos interview

Going Underground

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm starting to think the main reason Elias got the job is that his plan was built around slashing payroll to the bare bones as part of the rebuild.  I think Angelos found that approach very appealing.

I thought that from Day 1.  Sure, Elias was an up and comer from a successful org and he is a local guy.  Good stuff for sure, but his plan involved blowing it up and having no pay roll.  You know JA was all over that.  You also know he's pissed that his new buddy in the Gov's office hasn't corrupted some MSA money yet.  I figured as much when Jon didn't sign a new lease.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So he was on 105.7 during the game, when the Orioles were on  their flagship station ,WBAL? That is strange on many levels 

Yes. My question from what I have read it sounds like he called in before the Orioles game was over. I want to confirm this.  

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

I thought that from Day 1.  Sure, Elias was an up and comer from a successful org and he is a local guy.  Good stuff for sure, but his plan involved blowing it up and having no pay roll.  You know JA was all over that.  You also know he's pissed that his new buddy in the Gov's office hasn't corrupted some MSA money yet.  I figured as much when Jon didn't sign a new lease.

I think 90% of GM’s, given the O’s position in Nov. 2018, would have blown up the team and slashed payroll.  That’s GM 101 considering where the Orioles were.  I don’t think Elias was unique at all in that regard.  But Elias had a vision for reorganizing the drafting and player development that has proven to be a very good one.  Every GM the Orioles have brought in since 2003 has said they were going to build a better farm system and player development system. None of them were able to do it; Elias has done it.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, sevastras said:

All it says is they would have 3 years to use the bonds or get penalized by the IRS and they don’t believe they can use the entire amount in 3 years. Thus, they want to do about $200mm in bonds and $245mm in financing. They are simply taking the bonds they are sure they can use in 3 years and have the rest secured for when they are ready. I don’t know why you insist on this narrative even when being presented a strong case to the contrary. 

People I work with who have worked on other funding projects have told me that. Plus if you look at Mr Raith comments in the article I posted he said he is not sure that a bank will necessarily make that commitment for a loan in this economy. Maybe they won't have to or maybe they will. 

Edited by Going Underground

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Lease negotiations are far more complex than “This is the rate and term.” They kicked the can down the road a bit while they figure out everything. MSA doesn’t want to find a new use for the stadium and the Os know that and want to squeeze everything possible out that benefits them. If I remember correctly, the cost for moving the LF wall back is being offset by the MSA over the course of 3 years. The Os aren’t walking away from that but may be trying to figure out if they are better off signing a long term favorable lease or hoping dad dies soon and they can sell the team and the new owner can negotiate a lease to their own liking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think 90% of GM’s, given the O’s position in Nov. 2018, would have blown up the team and slashed payroll.  That’s GM 101 considering where the Orioles were.  I don’t think Elias was unique at all in that regard.  But Elias had a vision for reorganizing the drafting and player development that has proven to be a very good one.  Every GM the Orioles have brought in since 2003 has said they were going to build a better farm system and player development system. None of them were able to do it; Elias has done it.  

There is blowing it up and there is razing it to the ground and salting the earth.  I doubt the other candidates were coming in as hard with the cost cutting.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It had to be done, for sure, and Elias had been through that process before.  It was a great hire.  The thing is, even after rebuilding, Houston still isn't spending like the Yankees, Mets and others.  They're 10th in overall payroll this season, thanks to $50M going to Bregman and Abreu.  The rest of that team is pretty cheap.  With Altuve out, their 26man payroll right now is $121M.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of the stories, I don’t recall if it was local or National over the brothers issues said Elias came here because John Angelos promised him complete control. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

People I work with who have worked on other funding projects have told me that. Plus if you look at Mr Raith comments in the article I posted ge said he is not sure that a bank will necessarily make that commitment for a loan in this economy. Maybe they won't have to or maybe they will. 

Not sure as though economy would be the correct word. Climate(see SVB and Credit Suisse)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you remember in a prior search that many GM's turned down the Orioles job and that is why they ended up with Danny D. Dan was out of baseball awhile when they hired him.

Edited by Going Underground

4 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Not sure as though economy would be the correct word. Climate(see SVB and Credit Suisse)

You are right Working and answering at the same time is not a good thing for me.Two things at once is a major chsllenge.You may be right in the long run I have been wrong a few times in my life. You have a great day.I have to see if I can ruin the city some more.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yes. My question from what I have read it sounds like he called in before the Orioles game was over. I want to confirm this.  

He definitely was on 98 Rock during the game.  He was in the booth at the game with the announcers, not on the phone.

A little over halfway down after the "times 75" idiocy, he says " we should be measured by how much we drive all our profits back into the product on the field".

The Forbes numbers say the profits were $150M the last 2 years, I would say "how much we drive all our profits" is likely to cause him more grief than opening up a set of doctored books that don't reveal anything. His profits the last 2 years are more than double total Team Salaries.

Aimage.png.8f015722ac389aea5992cbd2c6d4890c.png