Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

Aaron Boone got thrown out of last night's Yankees / White Sox game for arguing an eighth inning third strike call that was clearly correct. However, in Boone's defense that may have been one of the few calls that home plate umpire Laz Diaz got right all night. MLB really needs to do something about guys like Diaz and Angel Hernandez. Their performance makes a mockery of the game. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e255dc000e190017e8527939d6b26542.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Somebody in the MLB offices needs to have a talk with Adam Beck. His gifting another 3-4 inches at the bottom of the strike zone to Gausman last night changed the approach of our entire lineup. That +0.41 runs for TOR doesn't come close to the real advantage he gave them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5f16955c18e3cb4cf0df03aba44eaa13.jpeg

Watching the games, I can’t take umpire scorecard seriously. Unless our box is way off or something. But even then, you can see where the ball crosses the actual ball player. And shins are not strikes. 

34 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Watching the games, I can’t take umpire scorecard seriously. Unless our box is way off or something. But even then, you can see where the ball crosses the actual ball player. And shins are not strikes. 

The top of the box they show on TV is a little lower than the actual top of the strike zone, so I generally don’t mind if the umps are calling strikes 2-3 inches above the box, so long as they’re consistent.  But the low strikes being called in the Gausman game were absurd, as that chart shows.  

Looking at Ump Scorecard quite often this year, I’ve realized that the bad calls favoring the pitchers outnumber the bad calls favoring the hitters almost every night.  I understand that one of the reasons runs are way up in the International Lesgue is that the electronic ball and strike calls are actually neutral and don’t give the pitchers a bunch of extra strikes. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not surprising that the analysis concludes that Colorado benefitted from Bellino's calls.  There was one big call that went the O's way that isn't well-captured by this methodology, though--the ball called on the first pitch to Mullins in the 8th.  It was an obvious strike, and the bad call rattled the Colorado pitcher, who then walked Mullins on 4 pitches and threw a cookie to O'Hearn on the first pitch.  

It seems like Blach understood Bellino's strike zone and took advantage of it much better than the O's pitchers did yesterday.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The worst call of the night wasn't considered "impactful". 

What amazes me about these umpire tracking sites is the fact that it is the veteran umps -- not the newbies -- who are the absolute worst. 

image.thumb.jpeg.49b12723713945a14751ac65f64396a4.jpeg

They’re old and can’t see. 

Impactful?? Gibson's last start, he throws a strike well within the shown zone, called a ball. Gibson adjusts..I assume he thinking I'm not getting that call. Next pitch grooves one HR. (first run of the game)...Home plate umpires can really f'up a pitcher's mind. I guess a batter's too, but a starting pitcher is looking to throw 100 pitches.