Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

Is their way of saying "true strikes" and "true balls" a way for them to give the ump an out?  If a pitch is on the corner and just brushes the box, is that labeled a "true strike" or "true ball"?  The wording seems a little up to interpretation to me.  All 5 "missed pitches" were completely inside the box or completely outside of the box.  

So 5 missed calls and at least 2 against the Orioles listed in the graphic.  Boston whine several innings, had an ejection and kept going.  Seems like I was right that they weren't justified.  

I don't know how consistent these are, but it does match with my eye test, not that that isn't biased.  Haha

Edit: either way I feel like this is something the Sox have whined about over the years and gotten better calls over time.  I'm glad yesterdays whining didn't amount to much.

Edited by jerios55
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

So 5 missed calls and at least 2 against the Orioles listed in the graphic.  Boston whine several innings, had an ejection and kept going.  Seems like I was right that they weren't justified.  

I don't know how consistent these are, but it does match with my eye test, not that that isn't biased.  Haha

Edit: either way I feel like this is something the Sox have whined about over the years and gotten better calls over time.  I'm glad yesterdays whining didn't amount to much.

Doesn't the scorecad say that the calls favored the Orioles by .58 runs?    That's sounds pretty biased towards the Orioles which of course is just luck.

Seemed like a lot of strikes outside of the TV box so I thought I'd check the score, and sure enough, the HP umpire was below average but at least it was in the O's favor overall. The Coulombe call was huge. The difference between loaded bases and one out and 1st and 2nd and two outs.

342200633_568823612017485_4865103111256667148_n.thumb.jpg.b69553c095f1a0800b690d45730426bb.jpg

It was Doug Eddings worse game of the year. https://umpscorecards.com/single_umpire/?name=Doug Eddings

Glad to see the Orioles getting calls in our favor.  

I've been on this site for a long time, I've seen a lot of kvetching over the years about calls not going our way as if we were some team that was loathed nationally and there was a conspiracy against us.  So,something the other way is nice to see.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Seemed like a lot of strikes outside of the TV box so I thought I'd check the score, and sure enough, the HP umpire was below average but at least it was in the O's favor overall. The Coulombe call was huge. The difference between loaded bases and one out and 1st and 2nd and two outs.

342200633_568823612017485_4865103111256667148_n.thumb.jpg.b69553c095f1a0800b690d45730426bb.jpg

As I noted in the game thread before the game even started, when I saw he was the ump, Doug Eddings is a longtime, veteran umpire whose reputation for years is that he has the biggest strike zone of all the MLB umps.  

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was Doug Eddings worse game of the year. https://umpscorecards.com/single_umpire/?name=Doug Eddings

If I remember correctly the batter before Coulombe should have struck out but the ump missed a strike three on a down and in pitch and next pitch the batter singled to left.  I guess the two missed calls evened out.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

If I remember correctly the batter before Coulombe should have struck out but the ump missed a strike three on a down and in pitch and next pitch the batter singled to left.  I guess the two missed calls evened out.  

You're right. The 1-2 sweeper on Zack Short was called a ball but was a strike according to game day.