Best thing the Orioles can do is trade Kyle Stowers

Tony-OH

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It wasn't unprovoked. He made bad analysis, I called him on it. When I have a bad take I get called on it as well. That's the way this place works. 

If this hurts your feelings or anyone else's, feel free to post somewhere else where your feelings matter. If he had provided stats or real analysis to disagree with me then fine, but to say things that just aren't true are going to get you called out.

And BTW, I will mix it up here as I see fit. I never called him a name, I didn't break any rules. Was I aggressive, sure, probably because I was still pissed over the game, but anyone who knows me well enough there are going to be times that's going to happen.

I've never run this place like I have treat everyone like a "customer." Either you want to be part of this community or not. We have been together around here for 20+ years so we've all gotten into with each other at some point. Who cares? I don't hold grudges and if I agree with the same person I got into with the day before then I'm just as likely to give them rep or say agree. 

At the end of the day, this place has been run the same way for 20+ years. It's not for everyone and I'm ok with that. 

Your feelings are less respected elsewhere. Just saying!

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol... Amazing. They should have just sent him back to the minors. O'Hearn or Lester would have been fine as the 26th bench guy. 

I’m surprised.   Vavra did have a great spring, so hopefully he has a good game.  Will be interesting to see if they bring in McKenna for defense late in the game if we have a lead.  🤓

It really doesn’t make much sense.

I mean, I know I’m not completely sold on Stowers and I know no one here is predicting him to be some perennial AS but Elias drafted him high, he has showed tremendous power, an ability to hit against lefties, shows he can be adequate defensively, is cheap, young, etc…

There is no reason not to play him and give him 400+ at bats.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m surprised.   Vavra did have a great spring, so hopefully he has a good game.  Will be interesting to see if they bring in McKenna for defense late in the game if we have a lead.  🤓

No doubt McKenna comes in for defense with a late lead.  That’s how Hyde rolls.  Anything less and you might as well cut the guy.

It appears that they (Orioles) rate Stowers defense fairly poorly. My read on today's lineup is they prefer Vavra's OF defense to Stowers. What I don't get is if the Orioles don't think he can play average OF defense, then they should start giving him work at 1B, which they passed on doing this spring. Especially since Santander appears pretty locked in to the DH spot. 

I don't really get what they're doing with Stowers overall, if they're not going to play him, they should trade him..or send him down to Triple-A. He's to young and talented to be rotting on the bench 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, seak05 said:

It appears that they (Orioles) rate Stowers defense fairly poorly. My read on today's lineup is they prefer Vavra's OF defense to Stowers. What I don't get is if the Orioles don't think he can play average OF defense, then they should start giving him work at 1B, which they passed on doing this spring. Especially since Santander appears pretty locked in to the DH spot. 

I don't really get what they're doing with Stowers overall, if they're not going to play him, they should trade him..or send him down to Triple-A. He's to young and talented to be rotting on the bench 

I agree that they should have sent him back to play 1B if they hate his defense that badly. Also, why go into this season with him if you think his defense is that bad? And let me say this, his defense is NOT worse than Santander. 

BTW, Stowers was fine last year in RF where he spent MOST of his minor league outfield time. If you wanted to move him around from LF to RF why did they not play him more in LF in the minor leagues? 

Why did they play him at all in CF in the minor leagues. And if they evaluated him poorly in the outfield, why was he not given an opportunity to play some 1B to see if he can add value. Lastly, if you dislike the players game, why not trade him this offseason? 

Why do you bring him into the season as your 26th man, never going to play him right fielder/DH? Why not let him go back to the minors and let him increase his value where he'll show other teams that he can right and left handers? 

I was shocked by their usage of his last year when he never got PAs against left-handers and now I'm shocked he's the only guy on the roster to not get a start after three games. This is a guy who had a very good AAA season last year.

Amazingly, they have no issues giving Henderson PAs against lefties despite him not having a lot of success against them in the minors. 

Whoever is doing this evaluation, and I'm going to assume its Elias based off Sig's program, it really is strange how they've treated Stowers. 

At this point, just expect the unexpected.

• Upvote 2

I like both Vavra and Stowers but their roster spots are a bit repetitive if they're going to use Vavra in LF over Stowers. 

Hoping this was a weird confluence of factors and we soon start seeing Stowers start 3-4 times a week. 

If he doesn't and they continue starting Vavra over him in the OF, Westburg makes more sense as a final bench player.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not a great first AB for Stowers today.  Hopefully he’ll get more opportunities in Texas.  

Strange move.  Take a guy who hasn’t batted yet this season and have him ph for a pretty good hitter Urias.   I didn’t get that move or lifting the veteran Akin for the rookie Baumann.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Strange move.  Take a guy who hasn’t batted yet this season and have him ph for a pretty good hitter Urias.   I didn’t get that move or lifting the veteran Akin for the rookie Baumann.   

As I stated in the game thread I think it was just Hyde wanting to get him into a game in the first series.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I stated in the game thread I think it was just Hyde wanting to get him into a game in the first series.

I thought that too but we still had a chance.  That’s not the time to do that.