Same story as last year

banks703

I assume you mean Duvall.  I don't follow other teams enough to know their patterns, but the Os do have a very long history of letting the same player destroy them offensively long after realizing they can't get him out.  We also have a very long history of losing on Sundays.

But in all fairness, I am not sure who you pitch to in the Sox lineup.  This is an extremely talented collection of hitters and we knew that coming into the season.  Kike Hernandez is their 8th place hitter and all he does is hit.  

What happened to the idea of looking at your opponent’s lineup and picking one player you won’t let beat you ?  Seems to be a thing of the past.

With Boston, for me that guy is Duvall.  Devers is gonna get his but no way I’m pitching to Duvall with the game on the line.

Judge, Vlad Jr and Randy F’in Arozerana would be my other picks in the division.

28 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I assume you mean Duvall.  I don't follow other teams enough to know their patterns, but the Os do have a very long history of letting the same player destroy them offensively long after realizing they can't get him out.  We also have a very long history of losing on Sundays.

But in all fairness, I am not sure who you pitch to in the Sox lineup.  This is an extremely talented collection of hitters and we knew that coming into the season.  Kike Hernandez is their 8th place hitter and all he does is hit.  

I think it's just a side effect of the Orioles usually having bad pitching overall, not because the Orioles have a unique ability to let one hitter kill them. Ask the Jays what they think of Ryan Mountcastle or Chris Davis.

The Gleyber year was a historically exceptional one admittedly. But in the context of the O's losing 108 games and the juiced ball leading to more HRs than the peak steroid era. 

Edited by Spy Fox

12 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Adam Duvall had a .276 OBP last year in 315 PA. You don't hand out walks to guys just because they have a good couple of games.

He also had a terrible wrist injury he tried to play through.  He's better than those numbers.

But yeah, the Orioles need to recognize a hot streak when they see one.

4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

He also had a terrible wrist injury he tried to play through.  He's better than those numbers.

But yeah, the Orioles need to recognize a hot streak when they see one.

And a hot streak can end at any particular at bat.

So hey, let's walk a guy whose hot streak would be over.

13 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I think it's just a side effect of the Orioles usually having bad pitching overall, not because the Orioles have a unique ability to let one hitter kill them. Ask the Jays what they think of Ryan Mountcastle or Chris Davis.

The Gleyber year was a historically exceptional one admittedly. But in the context of the O's losing 108 games and the juiced ball leading to more HRs than the peak steroid era. 

I remember one year, Judge obliterated us.  Mookie Betts another year. But at least those guys are great players. Our friend Randal Grichuk is a career .324 hitter against the Os, with an OPS of 1.084.  His overall career BA is .247 and career OPS (both of which include his damage against us) is 0.759.  We let that guy destroy us despite the fact that he did nothing against anyone else.  And JD Martinez would be a first ballot HOFer if he could face us his entire career.  Yet our same pitching staff can keep Mike Trout in check.  Interesting.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I remember one year, Judge obliterated us.  Mookie Betts another year. But at least those guys are great players. Our friend Randal Grichuk is a career .324 hitter against the Os, with an OPS of 1.084.  His overall career BA is .247 and career OPS (both of which include his damage against us) is 0.759.  We let that guy destroy us despite the fact that he did nothing against anyone else.  And JD Martinez would be a first ballot HOFer if he could face us his entire career.  Yet our same pitching staff can keep Mike Trout in check.  Interesting.

All that's true, my thought is just that that's to be expected and every team has those opposing players who play the best against that particular team. We're the most aware of the Orioles nemeses since that's the team we watch. The O's probably do have more than their fair share on account of usually having bad pitchers, playing in what's often the best offensive division, and playing in what until recently was a very hitter-friendly ballpark. 

I’m not suggesting that you walk him but you don’t give him pitches in the zone to continue to beat you. Yes, he posted a .276 OBP in an injury riddled year last year but he is a much better player than that. Is he Aaron Judge? No but he was en fuego from the first pitch of this series and came up clutch literally every at-bat that was medium to high leverage. Make someone else beat you. 

I have made comments in the past regarding Judge and Arozarena, two prolific players in the division. Adam Duvall is a good player but sometimes a guy just has THAT knack for hammering a team or a pitcher. Check out Frank Thomas’s numbers against Mike Mussina.  They’re video game stats. 

The O’s for some reason year in and year out let the hot hitter beat them.

Edited by banks703

58 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’m not suggesting that you walk him but you don’t give him pitches in the zone to continue to beat you. Yes, he posted a .276 OBP in an injury riddled year last year but he is a much better player than that. Is he Aaron Judge? No but he was en fuego from the first pitch of this series and came up clutch literally every at-bat that was medium to high leverage. Make someone else beat you. 

I have made comments in the past regarding Judge and Arozarena, two prolific players in the division. Adam Duvall is a good player but sometimes a guy just has THAT knack for hammering a team or a pitcher. Check out Frank Thomas’s numbers against Mike Mussina.  They’re video game stats. 

The O’s for some reason year in and year out let the hot hitter beat them.

Living in Atlanta, I watch a lot of Braves games.  Duvall was a very good player here and a big contributor to their championship.  

I am sure that every team has players who they struggle with.....but it does feel like the Os are very slow at recognizing when they need to be more careful with a guy.  Reminds me of when an exasperated Gary Thorne said to just put four fingers up in reference to Gleyber Torres just obliterating us.  When the announcer throws in the towel on television bc he had seen enough, you know its bad. 

And Frank Thomas destroyed Mike Mussina.  I think Mussina's 1st major league game was a 1-0 loss to the White Sox with Thomas hitting the homer.  And it just continued from there.  

I think it’s a difficult call to know how to pitch a player who’s on an outsized heater against their team.  You do sort of expect them to come down to earth.  Gleyber Torres had that one crazy year against us but has been nothing special in other years, for example.  

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s a difficult call to know how to pitch a player who’s on an outsized heater against their team.  You do sort of expect them to come down to earth.  Gleyber Torres had that one crazy year against us but has been nothing special in other years, for example.  

Very true.  It is definitely a judgment call.  Gleyber was an extreme in every way.  But I definitely get more irritated by the Grichuk and JD Martinez types that just never come back to earth against us.  Their track record is long enough that you just don't let THAT guy beat you in a spot where they can. 

Duvall was on fire this weekend.  If it continues into future matchups, then that is a problem and we need to consider pitching around him in late, close game spots when we face them in September.