Wednesday, April 5: Grayson Rodriguez's long awaited debut vs Jacob deGrom

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Goober Noodles said:

That caught my eye too.  I don't think I've ever seen a 92mph change-up.  Crazy.

Grayson w a more conventional 13-14 mph diff. between his fastball and change-up/sliders, while still throwing the FB in the upper 90s.

Regardless of his poor spring so far, you have to remember this is his major league debut. Heart is probably going real fast and some pitchers have said they couldn't feel their legs in their debut. Maybe getting that first out will calm him down. he has an ERA now.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• What is the obsession with lumping in Henderson’s debut and acclimation into the league with Holliday’s? As if they are in anyway comparable. I feel like I’m the only one that watched Gunnar come into the MLB. He homered in his first game! He was OPS’ing .900 3 weeks in! In 2023 he was BARELY below LEAGUE AVERAGE offensive production in April with a 96 wRC+. He was above league average in May. All the while making his typical spectacular defensive plays. We would have killed for anywhere near those types of results for Holliday. And he would still be in Baltimore if that were the case.  I’m stunned at the amount of times Gunnar is listed as an analogy to Holliday’s start. If the analogy is “look how much better a player can get after half a season of adjusting” and not “you can be a bad player when you come up just like Gunnar was”. Boggles my mind! 
    • Burnes (3-1, 2.61) faced the Nats twice last year, allowing 4 ER in 5.2 IP the first time, 2 ER in 6 IP the second time.   Bradish (1-0, 0.00) also faced them twice, throwing 14 scoreless innings.  Advantage, Bradish. Trevor Williams (3-0, 2.27) started against the O’s in 2017, allowing 1 run in 6 IP.  Michael Parker (2-1, 2.53) has never faced the O’s.    The Nats come in scoring 4.18 runs per game, 18th in MLB and a 100 OPS+, 16th.  The O’s are 2nd in R/G at 5.29 and 2nd in OPS+ at 122.  The Nats lineup features 5 hitters who are off to good starts: CJ Abrams (165 OPS+), Luis Garcia (160), Nick Senzel (143), Jesse Winker (134) and Jacob Young (119).  The rest of the lineup has been a bit of a black hole, all at 79 OPS+ or worse     The Nats’ bullpen ranks 16th in ERA at 3.81, while the O’s are 11th at 3.54.    The Nats have built their 17-17 record on a pretty easy schedule, -0.4 SRS per BB-ref.   The O’s 23-11 has come against the toughest schedule in the league to date, at +2.0 SRS. Time to show the Nats who’s the alpha dog in this region.    
    • I hate watching baker pitch so much it invokes the worst feeling of bad oriole reliever moments in my lifetime. I’d rather watch Benitez give up gopher balls in the playoffs, Kevin Gregg try to earn every save, give me Doug jones or Mike Tillman over Brian baker. I legitimately question Elias’ talent discernment because baker is still in the organization.
    • Converted position player that barely pitched in HS and NCAA. I mean barely. He’s been hurt his whole pro career.  Does he need innings to develop or should we just put him in his most likely role as a reliever and see what we have? It’s only May, and there’s no role for him this year at the MLB level, but considering he’s on an innings limit, he’ll be transitioned to a reliever at some point.  Pitch labs are fun, but he’s on the 40 man. It’s not a big deal right now, but this offseason it could be. 
    • These two off days this week are going to be hell!  🤣
    • He seems like a great dude. The thing is, all this stuff is cool while the team is playing well and the vibes are good.  But if the team starts to struggle, and it inevitably will at some point, then these sorts of things won't be as well-received. I think it's fine to do these things now to connect with the fans but I think he would be wise to fade into the background eventually.
  • Popular Contributors