Delmarva Shorebirds 2023

Frobby

If the first two games are any indication, the Shorebirds are going to be a wild team to follow.  They’ve won by scores of 11-7 and 15-8.  In the latter game, they squandered a 5-run lead in the 8th and a 1-run lead in the 9th, then scored 8 runs in the 10th featuring a two-run single by Holliday, a two-run homer by Basallo (his second in two days), and three more RBI hits.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Basallo was hitting all night. This was my first chance to watch him play, and all I can say is he's impressive.

I'm really excited about the prospects of Samuel Basallo. They need someone to split time with Adley, and I think Samuel can be that guy to give them that type of production with little drop off when Adley rests. So far in Adley's career, I haven't seen anyone who can prevent a huge drop in productivity. Not only in the bat, but also in the productivity with the pitching staff. Calling a game is such a huge factor in pitching.

Samuel looks like he also has DH potential when they rotate between catchers behind the plate.

14 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm really excited about the prospects of Samuel Basallo. They need someone to split time with Adley, and I think Samuel can be that guy to give them that type of production with little drop off when Adley rests. So far in Adley's career, I haven't seen anyone who can prevent a huge drop in productivity. Not only in the bat, but also in the productivity with the pitching staff. Calling a game is such a huge factor in pitching.

Samuel looks like he also has DH potential when they rotate between catchers behind the plate.

I think he's a couple of years away but for my untrained eye, he has the "look". 

I'm probably wrong as usual but I think he makes some top 100 lists before 2024.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If you're going to rotate Basallo and Rutschman at catcher and DH, doesn't that force you to carry 3 catchers? That reduces flexibility on the defensive side of the field.  You have to have a catcher available on the bench if your staying catcher gets hurt and your other catcher is the DH.

25 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

If you're going to rotate Basallo and Rutschman at catcher and DH, doesn't that force you to carry 3 catchers? That reduces flexibility on the defensive side of the field.  You have to have a catcher available on the bench if your staying catcher gets hurt and your other catcher is the DH.

You can move you catcher that is DHing back behind the plate in a emergency and let the pitcher hit or pinch hit for him 

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

No, you only need 2 Catchers. DH can be switched to play the field. He just can't change his spot in the order. And when I say rotate, I mean it in the sense big league teams rotate their catchers. Meaning every 3rd or 4th game the starter gets a day off from squatting behind the plate to save him from the beating that comes from wild pitches and foul balls.

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't have any problem with the discussion but worrying about how to rotate Basallo with Rutschman seems like the epitome of "cross that bridge when you get there."  Lot of development still to go for Basallo.

Realistically, you wouldn’t see Basallo in the majors until late 2025 at the absolute earliest.   Could be longer.   

He’s hitting the ball hard in the early going, but also striking out a lot (33%) compared to last year.  

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Realistically, you wouldn’t see Basallo in the majors until late 2025 at the absolute earliest.   Could be longer.   

He’s hitting the ball hard in the early going, but also striking out a lot (33%) compared to last year.  

He's definitely a couple of years away...but he's a really good looking young player. Even 2025 would still put him at age 20. 

Stiven Acevedo is worth keeping an eye on.   This kid is built like a star.   His swing looks good to me and he seems to slowly be putting it together. Not much power yet but it seems just a matter of time.   He also looks to have a strong arm in the of and he’s been playing CF.   Still just 20.    

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Stiven Acevedo is worth keeping an eye on.   This kid is built like a star.   His swing looks good to me and he seems to slowly be putting it together. Not much power yet but it seems just a matter of time.   He also looks to have a strong arm in the of and he’s been playing CF.   Still just 20.    

He had a great AB last night. Bottom of the 9th, Delmarva down a run, 2 outs , runner on 2nd. He fell behind 0-2 and the just punched a line drive to right to tie the game. 

Fangraphs sees about 150 Sally Bats "qualified" starting out the year.

O's prospects there spot in that hierarchy by Age:

Basallo is youngest

De Los Santos the Batter is 8th youngest, not to be confused with De Los Santos the Pitcher

Holliday is 27th youngest

Acevedo 31st

Willems 58th (about youngest one-third)

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=9&stats=bat&qual=6&type=1&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=3,-1&pg=0

Edited by Just Regular
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't work for me with work on the weekdays, but heads up also the Shorebirds are a bit closer to any DC types at the Fred Nats next week, including a 1205 Wednesday game in which theoretically 95 congestion could be kind of sort of eluded.

Elijah Green right next to Jackson Holliday on the Age sort, as one would expect.