Trace Bright 2023

emmett16

Just happy to see him again, even with a mixed bag.

I was starting to wonder if he was completing the Three True Outcomes of Orioles pitching prospects - pitch good, pitch bad, then finally don't pitch at all without any context why.

For the 19 of us who care about frequent updates on A-ball pitchers in their first full pro seasons.

• 1 month later...

April and May weren't kind to Bright.  6.91 ERA, .238 BAA .816 OPS allowed (.333 Babip allowed).  5 HR, 42 K/17 BB over 27.1 IP.  

Since the start of June, Bright has a 2.33 ERA and .165 BAA, .527 OPS allowed (.250 Babip allowed).  1 HR, 36 K/15 BB in 27 IP.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, btdart20 said:

April and May weren't kind to Bright.  6.91 ERA, .238 BAA .816 OPS allowed (.333 Babip allowed).  5 HR, 42 K/17 BB over 27.1 IP.  

Since the start of June, Bright has a 2.33 ERA and .165 BAA, .527 OPS allowed (.250 Babip allowed).  1 HR, 36 K/15 BB in 27 IP.

Nice to see.  I have high hopes for him. 

• 1 month later...

Bright hasn't had any conspicuous games but he's covered 80+ innings, and his 35% K rate is league best.

https://www.milb.com/player/trace-bright-687238?stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb&year=2023

His player page also says now a Baysox.

Latest Transactions

Team Date Transaction
418.svg August 22, 2023 RHP Trace Bright assigned to Bowie Baysox from Aberdeen IronBirds.
Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

In addition to the Elias standard challenge in season's final chapter, it could be a trickle down kind of deal if Means joins Wells at Norfolk this week.      I've seen Wells reported, but not yet Means and it would be a little surprising if they make Means go on a AA roadtrip after he perhaps showed mastery of the level last turn.      Means and Wells covered 2 Baysox starts last week.

I like Bright a bit, but he definitely needs to find his consistency a bit more often. He can be cruising along and just lose it. I don't have the breakdown by innings, but he seems to do well early in his outings and then struggle later. 

That could suggest he may need to be moved to a reliever at some point but too early for that yet. The Orioles did take Kyle Bradish from a two-pitch guy to the starter he is now so have to give him a little more time. Nice to see him get a taste of AA. 

I expect he will start there next year. Next year should give us a better idea of who he's going to be.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I like Bright a bit, but he definitely needs to find his consistency a bit more often. He can be cruising along and just lose it. I don't have the breakdown by innings, but he seems to do well early in his outings and then struggle later. 

That could suggest he may need to be moved to a reliever at some point but too early for that yet. The Orioles did take Kyle Bradish from a two-pitch guy to the starter he is now so have to give him a little more time. Nice to see him get a taste of AA. 

I expect he will start there next year. Next year should give us a better idea of who he's going to be.

The developmental question re: the bolded is "why?" A lot of guys' mechanics kind of break down as they get tired. Others might just not have the muscle memory to repeat. To me, if he has the stuff with 3+ pitches and doesn't have obvious physical limitations, he's a starter.

Now maybe he doesn't have that stuff, or does have physical limitations. If so, that's a reliever profile. But development is about building the physical profile and the muscle memory. I love the opportunity for guys like this to reset in the offseason.  They get to work on getting stronger and developing that muscle memory. I feel like this org really takes advantage of that.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

The developmental question re: the bolded is "why?" A lot of guys' mechanics kind of break down as they get tired. Others might just not have the muscle memory to repeat. To me, if he has the stuff with 3+ pitches and doesn't have obvious physical limitations, he's a starter.

Now maybe he doesn't have that stuff, or does have physical limitations. If so, that's a reliever profile. But development is about building the physical profile and the muscle memory. I love the opportunity for guys like this to reset in the offseason.  They get to work on getting stronger and developing that muscle memory. I feel like this org really takes advantage of that.

So this young man is a 23 yo former college pitcher out of the SEC.  He's got a starters build. I think his stuff is starters stuff with a FB that touches 97 (it apparently sits 93-94 however) and a high spin rate CB. Seems to me he's a starter until he proves he's not.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So this young man is a 23 yo former college pitcher out of the SEC.  He's got a starters build. I think his stuff is starters stuff with a FB that touches 97 (it apparently sits 93-94 however) and a high spin rate CB. Seems to me he's a starter until he proves he's not.

I agree. I just that's his projection. Not what he's ready for at this point. And that's fine. This is why the minors exist. 

• Upvote 1