McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Right, but it's still the same OPS+.  You can call it 770 or 715 but over the last few years Hays has shown himself to be a slightly above average major league hitter.  The 715 isn't as damning as you seem to think  it is.

Right, so a 103 OPS+ last year and a 107 OPS+ in his vaunted 2021 campaign....or 3% and 7% better than the average big league hitter across two seasons.

I'm not sure that 5% average of being better than league average is worth a vigorous defense, but hey, whatever makes you happy.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Bemboom is temporary due to quirk in schedule with facing all these LHP. Yesterday they pinch hit for McCann and Bemboom came in. 

Doesn't matter how temporary it is, it's dumb.

But then again, since the Orioles seem to have no idea how to use that 26-man and just bury a guy there, why not I guess? So the Orioles get to have Vavra pinch hit for McCann on those rare Rutschman days off behind the plate.

Not sure how I missed this genius roster work! 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Doesn't matter how temporary it is, it's dumb.

But then again, since the Orioles seem to have no idea how to use that 26-man and just bury a guy there, why not I guess? So the Orioles get to have Vavra pinch hit for McCann on those rare Rutschman days off behind the plate.

Not sure how I missed this genius roster work! 

If they aren’t playing Stowers vs LHP then I get why they are doing it. Adley went 4-4 at DH yesterday. 

Like I said maybe they are giving Stowers a reset here and he will be back soon. He would not have played much this week either. 

22 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think your first point is more than fair.  If they were going to just send Stowers down in a week, why even break camp with the club?  

The Bemboon thing is not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.  That will resolve itself in 3 days.

I asked that question yesterday. It’s why I am speculating this is a temporary reset for Stowers. Maybe the Bemboom instead of McCann played a slight role. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Vavra leaping ahead of Stowers is hilarious to me.

Sort of.   I mean, playing in the outfield, yeah.

But if Vavra vs. Stowers is the comp, it's clear that they're preferring guys who have a better plate approach and have positional versatility.  I'm under no illusion that Vavra is a great defender, btw.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Vavra leaping ahead of Stowers is hilarious to me.

I'm not sure why.  They have similar offensive output, one is based on power and one is based in on-base ability.  Neither is a good defender, but Vavra is certainly more versatile.  To my eye, he looks better than Stower in the outfield., although that is a small sample I've observed.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sort of.   I mean, playing in the outfield, yeah.

But if Vavra vs. Stowers is the comp, it's clear that they're preferring guys who have a better plate approach and have positional versatility.  I'm under no illusion that Vavra is a great defender, btw.  

But not every guy has to be versatile.

How versatile is Mullins? Mountcastle? Mateo? Hays?  I mean, some guys just play where they are supposed to play and that’s it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right, so a 103 OPS+ last year and a 107 OPS+ in his vaunted 2021 campaign....or 3% and 7% better than the average big league hitter across two seasons.

I'm not sure that 5% average of being better than league average is worth a vigorous defense, but hey, whatever makes you happy.

My "vigorous" defense amounts to: 

He's very likely better than Stowers right now, thus it makes perfect sense he should be playing over Stowers.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I'm not sure why.  They have similar offensive output, one is based on power and one is based in on-base ability.  Neither is a good defender, but Vavra is certainly more versatile.  To my eye, he looks better than Stower in the outfield., although that is a small sample I've observed.

Vavra doesn’t have close to the upside. Stowers can be an everyday player. Vavra can’t.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

My "vigorous" defense amounts to: 

He's very likely better than Stowers right now, thus it makes perfect sense he should be playing over Stowers.

The days Vavra started over him may have been matchup based from the analytics department? 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Vavra doesn’t have close to the upside. Stowers can be an everyday player. Vavra can’t.

I don't necessarily disagree with that at least as an outfielder.

But there's obviously a balance between win now and development, and if the O's think Vavra gives them a better chance today of winning games than Stowers, I get it.  I'm not sure I agree, but I get it.