McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

See I don’t agree with this. 

I don’t think you force trades because your options are increased. Frazier really does not impact Stowers that much. Indirectly he does to an extent but Frazier has started 7/9 at 2nd base. 

In order for Stowers to play with current roster they need to be willing to rest guys more. They haven’t done that much. 

Vavra is the utility guy they play to give everyone rest. Add Stowers and you are just taking away from Hays and Santander's value.

Frazier/Urias does affect Stowers because most of us saw Santander as the primary DH with Stowers the primary RF. Frazier pushes Urias/Gunnar to take DH ABs, which forces Santander back to RF, and Stowers out.

I am not talking about forcing trades, just finding a team that will give us reasonable value back for one of these guys we don't really need. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, the problem is we have 1+ WAR guys at every position. It is quite possible that Stowers does not outperform Hays/Mateo/Urias/Frazier. But he had a good enough minors career it seems a good idea to give a chance to the younger, cheaper, still developing guy. With the roster we have I agree Stowers may be outside our top 10, but if he is close enough why sign Frazier? Why not trade Urias/Mateo/Hays/Santander? Or trade Stowers. The net result of signing Frazier and refusing to trade anyone is wasting Stowers talent. Westburg may be next.

Stowers talent is not wasted.   His time is coming.    Depth pays off over a long season.  Patience.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Frazier/Urias does affect Stowers because most of us saw Santander as the primary DH with Stowers the primary RF. Frazier pushes Urias/Gunnar to take DH ABs, which forces Santander back to RF, and Stowers out.

When Frazier, Mateo and Urias play that force Gunnar to DH.  That has a direct effect on Stowers PT at DH.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Vavra is the utility guy they play to give everyone rest. Add Stowers and you are just taking away from Hays and Santander's value.

I am not talking about forcing trades, just finding a team that will give us reasonable value back for one of these guys we don't really need. 

If Frazier isn’t on the team then Urias plays full time or closer to that at second and Vavra fills the utility role. Henderson DH’s less for sure. At the end of the day I still don’t think Stowers plays that much. 

If the Orioles wanted to play Stowers more then he would be. If they wanted Stowers to play and I go along with your thoughts then why sign Frazier? 

I assume Mike listened to offers all winter. This is clearly going to be a big topic this year and next. The topic isny Stowers it’s the positional player depth and what to do with it?

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When Frazier, Mateo and Urias play that force Gunnar to DH.  That has a direct effect on Stowers PT at DH.

If they were sold on Stowers then he plays more. They went into the season not handing him 500 at bats. 

Now with the current roster construction is there way to play him more? Yes. That said right now they aren’t willing to do that. Like you said it’s a long season. See how things play out. At this point my guess is they use most of first half of season to figure that out. 

Does Kyle have some incriminating pictures on some of the OH posters? He has a 32.7%K rate throughout minors in (328 ks in 1002 ABs) & a 30.8% K rate 95 MLB ABs.  His defense is not top notch.  I love the guy and understand the prospect love and everyone wants a shiny new toy, but for real - seems silly to be all upset he isn’t starting over guys on the roster right now.  He is good, will likely have a fantastic career, probably should be traded, but to me he is fantastic depth to have in the system for when someone inevitably gets injured. It very clear the FO does not like high K% guys and guys that are questionable in the field.  Stowers in AAA is exactly where he should be right now.  That’s not to say that’s where he will be all year.  Let the assault on this post begin in 3,2,1……

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I just explained it. But you can sit Hays at least once a week. Same with Santander. And Vavra should not be getting any ABs at DH ahead of Stowers. 

Why?  In just about the same  amount of MiLB ABs Vavra out OPSd him .878 to .847.   Couple those numbers with a 20%k rate compared to a 32% k rate and I think I start Vavra. In a SSS Vavra has also had more success at the MLB level (in just about the same amount of ABs)

Edited by emmett16

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Does Kyle have some incriminating pictures on some of the OH posters? He has a 32.7%K rate throughout minors in (328 ks in 1002 ABs) & a 30.8% K rate 95 MLB ABs.  His defense is not top notch.  I love the guy and understand the prospect love and everyone wants a shiny new toy, but for real - seems silly to be all upset he isn’t starting over guys on the roster right now.  He is good, will likely have a fantastic career, probably should be traded, but to me he is fantastic depth to have in the system for when someone inevitably gets injured. It very clear the FO does not like high K% guys and guys that are questionable in the field.  Stowers in AAA is exactly where he should be right now.  That’s not to say that’s where he will be all year.  Let the assault on this post begin in 3,2,1……

When a 25 percent k percentage is league average I don’t think you can point to a 30 percent k percentage as a huge liability for a guy who hits for power and walks. His K percentage actually improved as he went up the minor league chain. 

It’s rare that a team treats a player nationally regarded as a top 5/6 prospect as nothing more than the 26th man. Vavra and McKenna weren’t nearly as highly regarded coming up and have been treated as clear reserves, yet now they are ahead of him in the team’s eyes.

Something happened between the end of the 22 season and 23, for the organization really to sour on him. Not sure what it was and doubt we’ll ever find out.

Edited by ChuckS

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

For me it was more about the other guys not performing and thinking Stowers at least deserved a look. Would he have panned out? Maybe (or maybe not), but it sure seems like it's time to find out. And the choosing to carry three catchers over him was just the salt in the wound.  I've also admittedly been pretty critical of some of the lineup decisions that Hyde has made early on (in the effort of full disclosure). 

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

For me it was more about the other guys not performing and thinking Stowers at least deserved a look. Would he have panned out? Maybe (or maybe not), but it sure seems like it's time to find out. And the choosing to carry three catchers over him was just the salt in the wound.  I've also admittedly been pretty critical of some of the lineup decisions that Hyde has made early on (in the effort of full disclosure). 

Last year would have been the time to find out.

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

When a 25 percent k percentage is league average I don’t think you can point to a 30 percent k percentage as a huge liability for a guy who hits for power and walks. His K percentage actually improved as he went up the minor league chain. 

It’s rare that a team treats a player nationally regarded as a top 5/6 prospect as nothing more than the 26th man. Vavra and McKenna weren’t nearly as highly regarded coming up and have been treated as clear reserves, yet now they are ahead of him in the team’s eyes.

Something happened between the end of the 22 season and 23, for the organization really to sour on him. Not sure what it was and doubt we’ll ever find out.

Is he on the organizations sh*t list or Hyde's sh*t list? That's what I can't quite figure out. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last year would have been the time to find out.

Ideally, yes, but the point is it feels like it's time to sh*t or get off the pot with Stowers. I'm not sure about his defense, but you can't convince me they wouldn't be a better offensive team with his bat in the lineup semi-regularly.