The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

In 1970 only two teams averaged over 20,000 fans a game. Mets at 32 000 and the Reds at 22,000. Onky the Mets drew over 2 million. This was when you only could watch games on regular tv. You definitely did not have the ability to see every game. Probably would depend on the market you were in. NY,Chicago,LA and SF area you could watch two teams. Was wondering if you could pick up the Senator  games in the Baltimore area? 

I'm sure you could. I'm in southern Maryland and we could pick up both DC and Baltimore channels with an antenna. But when I was a kid probably 1/4 of the games were on TV? Something like that. In the late 70s and early 80s. I didn't have cable until 1988 or 1989.

73,321 for the three day weekday series with the Astros.  Those are nice weekday crowds for August. The next home game, which will be their 60th of the year, the O’s will pass their attendance total for 2022.   

I think reaching 1.9 mm for the year is a possibility.   They’d need to average about 24,500 per game the remaining 22 home games, of which 13 are weeknights, 9 are weekends.  With a tight division title race in September, it could get there.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

73,321 for the three day weekday series with the Astros.  Those are nice weekday crowds for August. The next home game, which will be their 60th of the year, the O’s will pass their attendance total for 2022.   

I think reaching 1.9 mm for the year is a possibility.   They’d need to average about 24,500 per game the remaining 22 home games, of which 13 are weeknights, 9 are weekends.  With a tight division title race in September, it could get there.  

I was at the game last night.  There were numerous Nat jersey/O's hat combo people in attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

Through 60 games, the O’s attendance is 1,381,101.   That tops last year’s full season attendance of 1,368,367.  They are on pace to top last year’s attendance by almost 500,000, and I’m guessing it will be a little more than that.  

• Upvote 1

Attendance for the last 10 home games was 309,995.   I’ve been tracking every 10 games for the last five years or so, and that’s far and away the highest 10-game segment they’ve had.  There were a lot of good draws in that period, but it’s still pretty impressive.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Attendance for the last 10 home games was 309,995.   I’ve been tracking every 10 games for the last five years or so, and that’s far and away the highest 10-game segment they’ve had.  There were a lot of good draws in that period, but it’s still pretty impressive.  

Yes,and as I posted in another thread about 21,000 a game for the Jays. Saturday bobblehead giveaway will be a huge crowd but most likely below 30,000 for the other two games against the Rockies. White Sox with school starting should be below 20,000 and Monday way below unless a big walkup or advance in the next few days. Rays will have good crowds except Thursday  Red Sox ending series looks really good ,especially Saturday. Would be even better if the Red Sox are still battling for a playoff spot 

39 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Should be around 1.8mm to 1.9mm  for final attendance 

I would guess, as long as the team is good, that you see the final total closer to 2.4M next year.  Preseason sales will spike a lot and the end number will be determined upon how good the team is and what the in season sales are like. 

I don’t think they can expect attendance to be much more than 2.7M at its high point. The Os would need the Nats to be awful for a long time and have their fans defect to get higher than that but the Nats are going to be good again soon imo, so I don’t see this happening.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I would guess, as long as the team is good, that you see the final total closer to 2.4M next year.  Preseason sales will spike a lot and the end number will be determined upon how good the team is and what the in season sales are like. 

I don’t think they can expect attendance to be much more than 2.7M at its high point. The Os would need the Nats to be awful for a long time and have their fans defect to get higher than that but the Nats are going to be good again soon imo, so I don’t see this happening.

Will that be enough to enable the O's to sign some of their good young players to extensions?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think getting to 2.4 mm will be a stretch for next year.  Put me down for 2.2 - 2.25 mm.  I agree with your guess that 2.7 mm is about the long term limit.  Maybe if the O’s have a 6-7 year run like the Astros just did they could top that, but I’m not sure.  In addition to the Nats’ impact, I think the specter of the Freddie Gray riots and perception of increased crime risk has lowered the ceiling a bit.  That’s one of the reasons why why the 2016 wild card team drew about 110,000 fewer fans than the 2015 team that only made it to .500 by winning its final six games.  (The riots were after people had bought their season tickets for 2015.)

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think getting to 2.4 mm will be a stretch for next year.  Put me down for 2.2 - 2.25 mm.  I agree with your guess that 2.7 mm is about the long term limit.  Maybe if the O’s have a 6-7 year run like the Astros just did they could top that, but I’m not sure.  In addition to the Nats’ impact, I think the specter of the Freddie Gray riots and perception of increased crime risk has lowered the ceiling a bit.  That’s one of the reasons why why the 2016 wild card team drew about 110,000 fewer fans than the 2015 team that only made it to .500 by winning its final six games.  (The riots were after people had bought their season tickets for 2015.)

They would need to draw better in non giveaway games. I know most are on Saturday. I didn't put in the Weather Day or Camp Day ones.

Orioles on giveaway games are averaging around 32,237.Non giveaway games around 19,373 so far this year.