The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Tied for third best record in the Majors and still 4.5 behind the Rays. They just won’t lose. 

They are still a 16-2 away from 35-5.

The defending champions of my childhood won 2 of 3 in Detroit shortly after that stretch ended to get back to within 9.5 games with four months left, but DET came to Memorial the next weekend and took 3 of 4 to extinguish whatever faint sliver of hope existed as school was getting out for summer.     Nary a wildcard then.

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

They are still a 16-2 away from 35-5.

The defending champions of my childhood won 2 of 3 in Detroit shortly after that stretch ended to get back to within 9.5 games with four months left, but DET came to Memorial the next weekend and took 3 of 4 to extinguish whatever faint sliver of hope existed as school was getting out for summer.     Nary a wildcard then.

Yep.  I remember that weekend series well.  We had to win it to have a chance and we didn't play well.  I believe that was when Alan Wiggins fell for the hidden ball trick.   And then the jumbotron operator has the poor timing to do the guess the player game where they reveal a guy's face by uncovering puzzle pieces and when people started to figure out it was Wiggins they booed. 

I had been down at Tech all spring and that Detroit series was the first time I made it to the ballpark.  The 1984 season was kind of over before it started for me.