The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMG_2728.jpeg.5bddc9f5c822d079f6a12e1cdfb8df7b.jpeg

The Eric Davis love is awesome. He was so great when he was here. 

Yeah but I had to go with Demper.  Especially when we hit 24 on a win in Philly.  For a fraction of a second it looked like we were going to finish it off on a lineout to shortstop like another game in Philadelphia.  Turned out to be a grounder to short.

• Upvote 1

Earl and Pinella had some great verbal battles from opposing dugouts, which stemmed from their history together in the minors.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/03/09/sports/piniella-recalls-clash-with-weaver.html

Lou Piniella and Earl Weaver met as equals yesterday when the Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles began their exhibition schedule. That had not been the case previously and, in fact, they were very much unequal when they first got together in 1965, Weaver as the manager and Piniella a player at Elmira, N.Y. If both have mellowed slightly with age, consider how volatile they must have been 21 years ago. On one particular day, at least, it was like mixing nitroglycerin and dynamite.

''I was struggling; I wasn't hitting all that well,'' Piniella recalled. ''It was the first year I was up north and it was cold. He was tough on me, and one day we had a shouting match in the clubhouse. He had benched me. It was the first time it ever happened to me. I just approached him to talk to him about it, and the conversation got a little animated. He said, 'If you don't shut your mouth, it's going to cost you $100.' I kept yelling and he went $200, $300 and kept going up. Finally, he told me not to come to the ball park, I was suspended, and he said it would be four or five days.''

Piniella was smiling as he told the tale and, relishing what was to come, he grinned even more broadly.

''Two days later,'' he went on, ''an outfielder got hurt. So Sunday morning he came to the house where I was staying - I was rooming with Mark Belanger - and he knocked on the door. He said, 'Where's Piniella?' and I went to the door.'' Weaver: Where the hell were you? Piniella: I've been here.

Weaver: Well, someone got hurt last night. We need you.

That was the end of Piniella's suspension. Recalling that season now, the Yankees' manager said: ''As the season progressed, I got to understand Earl and know why he did things, why he rode me. It took a while. The first two managers I played for in the minors were more docile and gentle in nature. They were the fatherly type, like a high school coach. But Earl certainly got his point across. It was the first time anybody had stressed winning rather than just development.''

Piniella remembered Weaver's telling him he'd never make it to the big leagues because he was too much of a hothead. ''I said, 'You're a fine example.' ''

• Upvote 3