Sunday, April 23: Orioles try to sweep Tigers out of Baltimore

SteveA

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was advocating as far back as when Jim Johnson was the closer to only use the "designated closer" in save situations of 1-2 runs.  Would limit their saves and lower their arbitration price.  Any guy in the  should be able to nail down a 3 run save.

Agreed.  I get that it's a statistical save, but any solid reliever in your pen should be able to get the last three outs of a 3 run game, or even a two run game. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get your point. I just disagree. Yes he's a closer and that's his role. So yes in the 9th but not the 8th in the regular season.

Even if he preserves the lead and we take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 8th, we would then need someone else to close the game and Cano is supposedly unavailable today. So there's that to consider.

If we are in a pennant race in September/October and there's "no tomorrow" I'm all with your approach. Just not in April against DET.

Agree to disagree.  I'd rather have Voth start an inning with no one on base and use Bautista to "save" the game when you need a key strikeout.  It is somewhat similar to not using Britton in the WC game, albeit in a much much much less important game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Agree to disagree.  I'd rather have Voth start an inning with no one on base and use Bautista to "save" the game when you need a key strikeout.  It is somewhat similar to not using Britton in the WC game, albeit in a much much much less important game

Agreed completely with the bolded.

Just now, Gurgi said:

That was a awesomely exciting play.   I was talking to myself while it was happening.  I was like "can mateo score on that?  No no he cant."  Just to watch that bang bang play at home.  Thrilling.

Reminded me of when Hardy scored on Delmon Young’s double in 2014

• Upvote 1