2023 Norfolk Tides

Frobby

@Just RegularSo there's a nice website/app out there that compiles AAA leaderboards with statcast data.  I still don't know how folks are getting the raw data, but this is a nice reference with a lot of good graphics.  Most importantly, its free!

https://www.prospectslive.com/2023-aaa-statcast-data

Here's Drew Rom's chart

image.thumb.png.f42c4606e39db6cf8010e29096dc0726.png

image.thumb.png.35916c29b28e925d54cad306d37d6275.png

A couple of things - The induced vertical break seems a bit wonky.  I compared a few players who split time at AAA and the Majors this year, and the major league IVB seems to be less than the AAA in many instances.

For example

Grayson: AAA - 17.1" | MLB - 16.4"

Logan Allen: AAA - 17.1" | MLB - 16.9"

But then - Taj Bradley: AAA - 19.4" | MLB - 19.6"

It could just be sample size, but the Grayson difference really surprised me, since he never had that much ride on his fastball in the majors or in spring training.

So maybe Rom's fastball IVB is slightly less than 16.9", but given his 3/4 arm slot, that actually seems to play well.  I'd like to confirm that with his actual release point, but sadly the app doesn't have release points.  The VAA feels low given his perceived arm slot - and you'd like it to be a bit flatter, but I think there may be some differences in how its calculated on the app.  Bradley's on the APP is at -4.7 degrees, and he's at -4.4 degrees with how I calculate it with MLB statcast data.  Or he could just throw the ball up in the zone more to get a flatter fastball, bc location (below)....

He hasn't missed bats this year, but his CSW is still impressive, as I imagine he must locate pretty damn well.  (don't know enough about his command to know for certain).  All of that should help make up for his lackluster velocity.

But at the same time, there aren't many pitchers who throw < 92 MPH that have been successful this year.  Matt Boyd is the best comp I could find (similar velo, similar ride on FB, probably a similar release point).  Boyd has a 19% swinging strike rate on the 4S this year, but if I remember correctly, he has a good slider that probably helps his other pitches play up.  From Tony's writeups I don't remember any of Rom's other pitches being plus to help offset the lack of FB velo.

Still definitely feels worth the flyer to give starts this year, to see what we have.  He can't be any worse than some of the starts Bradish, Kremer, or Irvin have put forth this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s the second time Norfolk reached 20 runs (21 the other time), and they’ve also scored 17 once.   But it’s really not surprising, as the lineup is stacked with major league caliber talent.  I’d venture to say that it’s the most talented minor league lineup any O’s affiliate has had since Baylor and Grich were spending too much time in Rochester in the early 70’s.  

• Upvote 2

Durham is in this week, to whet the appetite for eventual MLB games.

MiLB preview says Luis Patino tonight, and Cowser, Westburg, etc. should also get game speed looks at Tyler Glasnow starting his rehab games.

Glasnow far past his Tommy John, and this latest 1-month-ish sideline was of the Grayson trunk muscle type.

• Upvote 1

These guys put up video game numbers every night it seems.  That line-up is ridiculous.  Benboom only guy w/o a hit.   Ortiz had another great night with his first HR.  Fontana has had a nice start to the season.  Cowsers only out might have been the hardest ball he hit.  Liner directly to the CF. 

9A40E0A8-1EED-4E92-BEB3-AA68C1789912.png

Edited by emmett16