2023 Norfolk Tides

Frobby

I dont really want to trade any of them.  They all look like they could be solid major league players for three or four years.  Some look like stars in the making.  

Ortiz looks like a real decent little SS with some pop.  If we didnt have Jackson and Gunnar I would never part with Ortiz.   

Another laugher tonight(after the 8th inning…..was a 2-1 game and they put up 10 in last two innings).  12-1 victory with 14 hits.

HRs by Mayo, Handley, & Lester. 

1st Norfolk HR for Handley & Mayo 

Mayos HR had about the longest hang time you’ll see.  

Edited by emmett16

Trying to move past the 12 walk and 2 error implosion yesterday at Gwinnett (somehow still only losing by 1):

A lot can still happen until the Trade deadline to not only the O's roster but Norfolk's roster.  Lost Easton Lucas yesterday to the A's in the trade.  What are they going to do with Lester/Diaz/Mayo to get Mayo his AB's and his time at 1B if that is what they want to develop.   Lester's HR on Tuesday was is 1st in almost 2 months.  Neither Lester or Diaz are a trade chip.

Players on both teams still need to stay healthy.  So this post is with the assumption that THEY STAY HEALTHY.

Rosters in September can expand from 26 players to 28 players while keeping 40 man at 40.   That is 2 players from Tides up to O's during that time.  Relief Pitchers most likely? 

Maybe a 3rd catcher (which would entail adding 1 to 40 man as well?  Do they move Handley as he is out performing Bemboom now?  Handley has above average speed and not just for a catcher which really opens up options and his defense has been considered MLB ready but the bat was having to catch up (No pun intended).

So... as a TIDES fan you hope our roster is as strong as possible come playoffs but as an Os fan, I want the best available on that roster to finish strong... especially if we are still in the lead or in a hunt for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, CHIP said:

Trying to move past the 12 walk and 2 error implosion yesterday at Gwinnett (somehow still only losing by 1):

A lot can still happen until the Trade deadline to not only the O's roster but Norfolk's roster.  Lost Easton Lucas yesterday to the A's in the trade.  What are they going to do with Lester/Diaz/Mayo to get Mayo his AB's and his time at 1B if that is what they want to develop.   Lester's HR on Tuesday was is 1st in almost 2 months.  Neither Lester or Diaz are a trade chip.

Players on both teams still need to stay healthy.  So this post is with the assumption that THEY STAY HEALTHY.

Rosters in September can expand from 26 players to 28 players while keeping 40 man at 40.   That is 2 players from Tides up to O's during that time.  Relief Pitchers most likely? 

Maybe a 3rd catcher (which would entail adding 1 to 40 man as well?  Do they move Handley as he is out performing Bemboom now?  Handley has above average speed and not just for a catcher which really opens up options and his defense has been considered MLB ready but the bat was having to catch up (No pun intended).

So... as a TIDES fan you hope our roster is as strong as possible come playoffs but as an Os fan, I want the best available on that roster to finish strong... especially if we are still in the lead or in a hunt for the playoffs.

Lester was DFA'ed yesterday to make room for Fujinami.  Possible he passes and is reassigned, but as of now he's not on the team.  

2 hours ago, CHIP said:

The MLB Trade Deadline is TUESDAY, Aug 1 @ 6:00 PM EST.   8 days (6 games) of the potential for an emotional roller coaster for some players and fans.

Last week, Easton Lucas was traded to Oakland, Lester was DFA'd, TJ McFarland was signed, Bemboom moved to Taxi and Jose Godoy recalled from Taxi.

Last week was the most sporadic week of watching the Tides play... and somehow after going 5-5 over the last 10 they are only 1 game out of first place in the International League (20 teams).

With the O's having moved 2 games into first place and the marginal/fringe players picking up their performance, we aren't likely going to see any moves (outside of minor relief pitching ups/downs) that impact our roster.  But the 'focus' and cohesiveness of the group in Norfolk has been the most unsteady all season.

My opinions (not facts)

Prieto seems focused in the box but unfocused/pressured/stressed on defense.  He has been playing 'selfish' on offense with base running most often being a detriment to the team.  Really noticeable in the 1 run loses.

Norby was doing well as lead off until O's sent McKenna down and put into lead off.  Now Norby has fluctuated.  I have never been a fan of his infield defense and if I can see that he doesn't have a defensive home so can the other teams.

Stowers seems to have stabilized but the problem is I can't seem to figure out when he is over swinging vs. under control.

Mayo is figuring himself out but hasn't figured out when to use the challenges for strike zone.  I don't think he has won one challenge.

Since the All Star break the last 9 games... 5-0 with Handley catching and 0-4 with Bemboom and Godoy.  If anyone else on this board actually watches the games vs. the stat box, there is just a different vibe or energy.

Relief pitching has been downfall...  I don't know how management can decide which of the relievers to move up and down based on their play.  Maybe that in itself is a factor to the play.

Really... The team and fans can still celebrate the 1st half win and playoff guarantee.  That team played cohesive and as a team.  But since the play seems to be more individualized than normal, distracted, and.... average.  You can still see/tell there is talent on the team but it is now 'feels' truly more like a 'Junior Varsity' high school team.

Man, that seems like a huge challenge for Buck Britton and the staff. @CHIPthat is a really interesting post. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I was raised that if you don't have anything nice to say... don't say anything at all.  So I have been silent.  Then I remember those rules really don't apply to this board.  Fantasy mixed with reality rule the day here.

With that being said...  The best thing I can point out after last week's 1-5 trip down in Jacksonville is that the O's DFA'd Mychal Givens and hopefully the success on Sunday carries over against the Memphis Redbirds this week and that 6th plate appearance for Kjerstad got him his single... so everybody hits going into a travel day.

The buzz around the Tides has gone quiet with no more exciting moves.  McCann has played well of late and the team is winning more than losing still.  Unless you are a pitcher (or Bemboom and Godoy for the travel squad) it seems like the travel bus and flights for the west coast trip are few and far between.  

The feel of the team is much more of a minor league feeder system/rehab facility/innings and reps mood than a group of guys wanting to win a AAA championship.

There are 6 weeks left in the season.  This week and week5 at home (of remaining 6) are vs. Memphis who are 17-22 and 7.5 games back of 1st.  This is only 4 games back of Norfolk.

Durham (home) is 23-16, then Worcester (away) is 24-14 then Jacksonville(home) again sitting at 23-16.  Final week of season is up in Buffalo who is 20-18.

With 9 teams within 3.5 games of 1st place, the final 6 weeks will be interesting.