McCann: “I’ve never seen more talent”

Frobby

8 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Reminds me of an article from the Sun earlier this year where Norby said that after Darell Hernaiz was traded to Oakland, he said to Norby:

One thing is professional evaluators hyping up the system, but for the players themselves to be awestruck by it is very exciting for us as fans. Might never see this much talent coming up again.

Not in my life time for sure.  I dont ever remember this much talent.  Been a fan since 77.  A more aware fan since late 80's.  And a fan following the minors on the internet since 2005.  No time have I ever seen anything like this.  

• Upvote 3

On 4/27/2023 at 1:18 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Imagine if the Orioles were to trade for a prospect like Andrew Painter. Or better yet, a Major League Ace. They have an abundance of position players they can use as leverage to make such a deal, and if they are all around the same age it makes no sense to clog it all up and block them from the field. Might as well as flip that into a spot that can be put on the Big League field right away, like excellent pitching. They have so much that they should still have pkenty of talent in the younger ranks to keep the franchise healthy long term. 

That's what they'll most likely need to do eventually, like when Houston traded for Verlander.  Can't see them trading for a talent like Painter unless the Phillies feel Painter is overrated for some reason.  Otherwise, I think the only way the Phillies trade Painter is if they are just on the heels of the lead of the NL East and they feel they can get a major MLB talent for him -- say a Shohei Ohtani or someone just below him in elite status.  And it would have to be someone who is more than just a rental.  

Imagine if the Orioles were to trade for a prospect like Andrew Painter. Or better yet, a Major League Ace. They have an abundance of position players they can use as leverage to make such a deal, and if they are all around the same age it makes no sense to clog it all up and block them from the field. Might as well as flip that into a spot that can be put on the Big League field right away, like excellent pitching. They have so much that they should still have pkenty of talent in the younger ranks to keep the franchise healthy long term. 

That's what they'll most likely need to do eventually, like when Houston traded for Verlander.  Can't see them trading for a talent like Painter unless the Phillies feel Painter is overrated for some reason.  Otherwise, I think the only way the Phillies trade Painter is if they are just on the heels of the lead of the NL East and they feel they can get a major MLB talent for him -- say a Shohei Ohtani or someone just below him in elite status.  And it would have to be someone who is more than just a rental.  

4 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Coincidentally, that is exactly what happened when I simulated a season of a baseball video game. The Phillies trade Painter and a Centerfielder to the Angels for Shohei Ohtani.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

You my friend, couldn't have stated this in any better words! Our time has started NOW and it would be irresponsible of our front office to try to slow down/delay the process of winning for future gains. 

We ALREADY have an embarrassment of riches with a LOADED farm system AND a Major League that is sporting one of the best records in the sport. Yes our org talent is unbalanced, but that had to be understood by everyone going in. We all knew that they day would come when all of our highly drafted/developed bats would become redundant. And some would need to be traded for arms. 

We don't need anymore prospects right now without first taking some of the excess and turning it into talent that can help us improve our odds for post season success in the form of frontline starting pitching.

I trust our org after the last 5 years to draft the right guys and be able to develop them. Now it's time to go win!

• Like 1