Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

yeah you beat me to it.  Comparing Urias to Raffy re the GG is selling Urias WAY short.  It may have only been 90 games but Urias was legit good.  Did Raffy even play 20 games at first?  I know the number was ridiculously low, way below 90 for sure.

A whopping 28.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it’s odd that you don’t consider Urias a great defender. 

I consider him a good defender that played great for 90 games.  I think Henderson, Ortiz, Holliday, and Westburg could all provide as much or more all around value.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I consider him a good defender that played great for 90 games.  I think Henderson, Ortiz, Holliday, and Westburg could all provide as much or more all around value.

Urias has accumulated 6.4 career WAR in 233 games, which is 4.4 WAR per 162 games.  This year he’s already at 0.8 in just 20 games.    We will be very lucky if all four of those players produce at that level.  With that said Holliday was drafted 1-1 and Henderson was the #1 prospect in baseball, so that is some top-end talent.  

Edited by jdwilde1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Urias has accumulated 6.4 career WAR in 233 games, which is 4.4 WAR per 162 games.  This year he’s already at 0.8 in just 20 games.    We will be very lucky if all four of those players produce at that level.  With that said Holliday was drafted 1-1 and Henderson was the #1 prospect in baseball, so that is some top-end talent.  

I equate WAR with value maybe not dollar wise or equally if you produce X war then you are worth Y dollars per year but more of a barometer of it is hot AF or warm or the frozen tundra. That spelled out, it is really surprising how much value Urías provides with not really being flashy on defense or being a monster at the plate. He kind of just quietly goes about his business and helps the team win. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Can anyone give a non cable guy any insight on how he looked? The stat line looks great. Curious about defense as well.

Looked comfortable at the plate.

1st AB was a relatively well-struck ball in the gap that Badoo made a nice play on.  Somewhere between a looper and a line drive :)

2nd AB was a base hit - a little luck there, hit a bouncer in front of the plate that took a big hop right over the 1B head.

3rd AB was the sac fly, good AB there, fouled off some tough pitches.

4th time up I think was just a little squibber in front of the plate, can't really remember.

All in all he looked comfortable at the plate.  Wouldn't say he hit anything particularly hard but had some tough ABs and hung in there.

Nothing really significant in the field that I saw.  I think in the 1st he made a nice stop off of a deflection to keep a runner from advancing.