Captain Obvious: the O’s won’t beat good teams pitching like this

Frobby

15 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I never would have pegged Braves fans to be that hostile in a sports city best known for its apathy towards all sports that aren’t SEC football. 

Atlanta is a modern, progressive city, but it's surrounded by a lot of rural, backwards areas.  Probably some backwoods yokels who hadn't been to the big city since the last Braves game they attended.

On 5/4/2023 at 8:06 PM, Moshagge3 said:

I was scared of Atlanta before, then I looked at their box score from today and saw they have Kevin Pillar. Now I'm petrified. How many years has that dude been torturing us?

I freaking knew it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

I just dropped by to find this post and say I hate you for it. 😀 It was in the back of my head when Pillar pinch hit, and as soon as he hit the ball it was like Ralphie from A Christmas Story. “Oh fuuuuuu…”

Pitcher is mainly to blame.

15 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I’m just giving Moshagge3 some good-natured grief because I seriously thought of his post when Pillar came to bat. So he’s obviously to blame more than Coloumbe’s meatball! 😉

Got it, Brother Low!

Funny thing, since I posted this thread before the Atlanta series, we’ve had four straight pretty solid pitching performances.   The last two days, it’s really been the bats that let us down.  I’m glad to see the pitching improvements even though we’ve lost three straight.  

• 2 weeks later...

Since the day I started this thread:

Kremer 4 starts, 23.0 IP, 1.96 ERA

Bradish 3 starts, 17.2 IP, 2.04 ERA

Wells 3 starts, 17.0 IP, 2.11 ERA

Gibson 3 starts, 18.0 IP, 3.50 ERA

Rodriguez 3 starts, 14.0 IP, 7.71 ERA

Two of Rodriguez’s starts actually were solid; he just got clobbered in the other one.   

Overall: 16 starts, 89.2 IP, 3.61 ERA, 5.60 IP/start.  Only once in that stretch has the starter failed to complete 5 innings.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since the day I started this thread:

Kremer 4 starts, 23.0 IP, 1.96 ERA

Bradish 3 starts, 17.2 IP, 2.04 ERA

Wells 3 starts, 17.0 IP, 2.11 ERA

Gibson 3 starts, 18.0 IP, 3.50 ERA

Rodriguez 3 starts, 14.0 IP, 7.71 ERA

Two of Rodriguez’s starts actually were solid; he just got clobbered in the other one.   

Overall: 16 starts, 89.2 IP, 3.61 ERA, 5.60 IP/start.  Only once in that stretch has the starter failed to complete 5 innings.  

Everyone assumes we have to trade for a bonafide ace if we want to compete for the WS. Maybe so, but maybe not... And who would leave the rotation? Kremer?

7 minutes ago, Orange said:

Everyone assumes we have to trade for a bonafide ace if we want to compete for the WS. Maybe so, but maybe not... And who would leave the rotation? Kremer?

If Means it also back in the mix around the trade deadline, it’s tough to say.

It may be Gibson if everyone remains healthy. 

5 minutes ago, Orange said:

It’s too early to make this comparison, but this reminds me a bit of our 2014 rotation, which got better and better as the year progressed.  That staff didn’t have a true ace, but overall they ended up above average, and the starter ERA went like this by month: 4.74, 4.29, 3.47, 3.29, 3.55, 2.45.   I’m definitely not saying this staff will replicate that, but overall improvement as the year progresses is definitely possible.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s too early to make this comparison, but this reminds me a bit of our 2014 rotation, which got better and better as the year progressed.  That staff didn’t have a true ace, but overall they ended up above average, and the starter ERA went like this by month: 4.74, 4.29, 3.47, 3.29, 3.55, 2.45.   I’m definitely not saying this staff will replicate that, but overall improvement as the year progresses is definitely possible.  

It was only a couple of weeks ago that Steve Phillips was bemoaning any chance for this team because they had a 5.08 starters ERA. Obviously it could have went higher... still can, but they have managed to drop it down to 4.66. There's still work to be done, but progress and the record speaks for itself.