Rays Series

Just Regular

It's here.    

First question digesting the last few days - are the Yennier Rules as simple as a 2-inning appearance equals 2 days down?

The SP ranks among Active AL guys with 20+ IP, a group of 61 on Fangraphs today:

(46) Gibson v. (7) McClanahan

(14) Grayson v. (4) Eflin         This would be Grayson's 3rd start in a 11-day period as MLB SP must sometimes do.    Has he done that since high school?

(40) Kremer v. (xx) Chirinos

It would be just Chirinos's 2nd start of the season, covering the Glasnow-Taj absences.

Edited by Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This would be Grayson's 3rd start in a 9-day period as MLB SP must sometimes do.    Has he done that since high school?

Your math is off.  Third start in 11 days, not 9.   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your math is off.  Third start in 11 days, not 9.   

Thanks - edited for clarity to future readers.     

To lean into the shtick, it might be that heaping portions of 5 days of rest are lots that help make Corbin Burnes who he has sometimes been, and a trend setter for many a high octane arm.     The circumstances of the third turn in 11 days + the almighty Rays coming together are an intriguing soup.

The Rays have played all of 13 road games.  10 of which have been against Washington, Cincinnati, and the white Sox.  Their schedule has been easy as hell and unless you think they are literally going to win 80% of their games all year, they are due to lose.  A lot.  

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

One reason for hope is that the Rays are *only* 9-4 on the road.  They're 18-3 at home.  

I feel a little better that we get to play this series at Camden Yards instead of that depressing empty mausoleum, The Trop. 

From what I saw on the highlights, the Trop wasn't empty this weekend, but a large number of the fans seemed to be rooting for the Yankees, so that would explain it.

10 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

From what I saw on the highlights, the Trop wasn't empty this weekend, but a large number of the fans seemed to be rooting for the Yankees, so that would explain it.

Yeah Yanks have there spring training very close to Tampa so they have lots of fans in that area of Florida.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah Yanks have there spring training very close to Tampa so they have lots of fans in that area of Florida.  

Plus, lots of New Yorkers have moved to Florida in the past couple of years. So Yankee fans probably outnumber Rays fans in the Tampa area.

10 hours ago, rm5678 said:

I think capacity is now 29,000 or so. Saturday was also above capacity. 

The announced crowd of 32,142 was the largest at Tropicana Field since 40,135 for a game against San Francisco on June 17, 2016, according to the Rays.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

I think capacity is now 29,000 or so. Saturday was also above capacity. 

The announced crowd of 32,142 was the largest at Tropicana Field since 40,135 for a game against San Francisco on June 17, 2016, according to the Rays.

They've started opening back up portions of the upper deck for certain games which allowed for the additional fans. As a side note, I was at that June 17, 2016 game as that was after the Pulse Shooting in Orlando and was a tribute night to the victims.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

The Rays have played all of 13 road games.  10 of which have been against Washington, Cincinnati, and the white Sox.  Their schedule has been easy as hell and unless you think they are literally going to win 80% of their games all year, they are due to lose.  A lot.  

I don't think they're going to win 80% of their games all year.  

You can point to their schedule being easy so far, that's fine.  But they're beating the absolute piss out of teams, you can't deny that.

Their expected W/L record is off by a game.  This isn't a team that's getting lucky or constantly winning miracle games in the 9th inning.  Their run differential is +30 better than the next best team in the game with the second largest run differential (Rangers).  

So you can point to an easy schedule, like I said, that's fine....but when you do that, you have to acknowledge that they're doing what a great team should do against bad teams which is beat them...and beat them by a good amount.