Tuesday, May 9 vs Tampa Bay Rays

SteveA

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Pretty good pitching lately.   We held Atlanta to 12 runs in 3 games (they average 5.4 runs per game).  We have held TB to 5 runs in 2 games (they average 6.3 runs per game!)

6.3! Didn't know they were scoring that much.

Just now, SteveA said:

Yeah, the high wire act means that Felix probably isn't available tomorrow, but Hyder got Cano out after 18 pitches so he probably is.   So Cano might get is chance to close tomorrow night.

I'm thinking that maybe they keep Cano in the set-up role (after all, he's been perfect in it--still no runs and no walks!) and use Baker to close: his 9th-inning stats from last year are very good (8 games / 1.23 ERA, 8K / 1 W over 7.33 innings). What do you think?

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I'm thinking that maybe they keep Cano in the set-up role (after all, he's been perfect in it--still no runs and no walks!) and use Baker to close: his 9th-inning stats from last year are very good (8 games / 1.23 ERA, 8K / 1 W over 7.33 innings). What do you think?

Hmmm... I guess it's kind of a don't mess with what's working.

But they do have to be at least considering making a change at closer if Bautista's inability to throw strikes continues, and Cano has been the best, most dominant guy in the pen.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

But they do have to be at least considering making a change at closer if Bautista's inability to throw strikes continues, and Cano has been the best, most dominant guy in the pen.

I'm fine either way, but just wanted to raise a possibility that no one seemed to be considering. Baker has 9th-inning experience (8 games last year is nothing to dismiss) and the sort of fire you need to close. We shall see!

23 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Hey, MASN. Try spending more than $4.99 for a headset.

I've noticed a ton of mistakes by the MASN production crew this year. In the post game they interrupted their post game report mid-sentance to start a commercial mid commercial and then interrupt that same commercial and pick back up mid sentence of another post game segment. And the there's all the times they keep getting the score board, base runners, and the batters count wrong.

39 minutes ago, LA2 said:

29 pitches by Felix. Probably Perez / Cano / Baker is the back end of the pen tomorrow if the game is winnable. If not, then it's Rom time.

Don't forget Coulombe. He was warming up but they didn't use him today. They have all the lefties available tommorrow.

22 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I'm fine either way, but just wanted to raise a possibility that no one seemed to be considering. Baker has 9th-inning experience (8 games last year is nothing to dismiss) and the sort of fire you need to close. We shall see!

Baker’s last three outings have also had too many walks 

31 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Bautista's wild pitches have killed us.  The wild pitch in Atlanta Sunday in the 10tn inning cost us that game. I don't remember him throwing costly wild pitches last year.