I'd rather see Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser and Stowers than Urias, Mateo, Frazier, and Vavra

DocJJ

22 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Roch just tweeted that "Joey Ortiz is here on taxi squad".

I thought the new taxi squad rules only allow for a catcher. So I am totally confused as to how & why Ortiz is there on the taxi squad.

Roch just clarified this in his latest blog post:

"Joey Ortiz is in the clubhouse today. A new rule allows a non-catcher to join the taxi squad for 24 hours. Ortiz will return to Triple-A Norfolk on Sunday if he isn’t placed on the active roster."

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is not obvious to me at all.  The team ran a payroll over $100 mm every year from 2013 to 2018 and there is no reason whatsoever it can’t do that again unless John Angelos just decides he wants to be super-greedy.  I had no problem whatsoever with the Orioles slashing payroll during the rebuild, but the natural corollary is the payroll builds back up once the team gets good again.  I don’t necessarily expect the team to reach the $161 mm plateau again, but I’ll be quite surprised and disgusted if payroll isn’t well over $100 mm when it needs to be.   It might take another year or two to get there because the team’s best players are super cheap right now, but that’ll change.  

I’ll believe it when I see it. Right now, all I see is the greedy son of a very rich man lapping up all the liquidity he can get. More revenue for the O’s means more money in Johns pocket. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I was a little surprised he didn’t then go to McKenna in the ninth. I’m guessing he probably would have had it still been a 1 run lead. 

He had to leave Vavra in the game because he is the emergency catcher. If something had happened to Adley he would have subbed McKenna for Adley and moved Vavra behind the plate. 

If he had brought in McKenna and something happened to Adley they would have been SOL without a catching option. I genuinely don’t know what they would have done in that scenario. 

33 minutes ago, banks703 said:

He had to leave Vavra in the game because he is the emergency catcher. If something had happened to Adley he would have subbed McKenna for Adley and moved Vavra behind the plate. 

If he had brought in McKenna and something happened to Adley they would have been SOL without a catching option. I genuinely don’t know what they would have done in that scenario. 

That makes sense. I guess McKenna’s back was also a factor; that news had not surfaced yet when I made that post. 

Mateo's job is his to lose, he's been an excellent player for us, he's cheap, and he's 27.  If he ultimately blocks young talent I'd be trading that young talent for pitching.  I don't know how he's mentioned in this thread title.

Urias has also earned his job, I'm not particularly inclined to dislodge him either.

Edited by Barnaby Graves

I realize Stowers is a young top prospect but he needs to be sent down and allowed to play a full season in the minors. We can’t afford to have him learning on the job as we are no longer a rebuilding team. 

I didn’t realize that last year at Norfolk he had 104Ks in just 349 at bats. That 30% strike out ratio shows he doesn’t have plate discipline yet. 

Ortiz, Stowers, and I'll include another rookie here Henderson, were a combined 1-11 today with 9 Ks.  With an error.

Now that is one day.  And it was a day that had probably the best pitched game the O's have faced this year.  But for the year, Henderson is batting .178 and Stowers is batting .067.

This board in general has been wildly overoptimistic about the abilities of these rookies to come up and outperform solid major leaguers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Ortiz, Stowers, and I'll include another rookie here Henderson, were a combined 1-11 today with 9 Ks.  With an error.

Now that is one day.  And it was a day that had probably the best pitched game the O's have faced this year.  But for the year, Henderson is batting .178 and Stowers is batting .067.

This board in general has been wildly overoptimistic about the abilities of these rookies to come up and outperform solid major leaguers.

Yeah …Gunner is not helping right now. Well the 1 is a homer at least.