Ortiz looks like the right man for the job right now.

wildcard

16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This is a little apples-oranges IMO. Adley and Gunnar were uber-prospects that were a level above Cowser, and they also lost the COVID year in what would have been their first full MiLB season, so their trajectories aren't 100% generalizable.

I am just pointing out that if there’s some game/PA litmus test, Cowser is past it.  There may be other reasons not to promote him, or Westburg who has way more AAA time than Adley or Gunnar.  

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Cowser was the #5 pick in the draft and a Top 100 prospect.   Not chopped liver.

Not chopped liver, but also not the consensus or near-consensus #1 prospect in all of baseball.

More comparable to Westburg or Ortiz or other top-100 guys than those two.

Edited by BohKnowsBmore

23 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not chopped liver, but also not the consensus or near-consensus #1 prospect in all of baseball.

More comparable to Westburg or Ortiz or other top-100 guys than those two.

Well, I guess so.  But Gunnar wasn’t really seen as a no. 1 prospect until well into 2022.   He went into the season as BA #57, MLB.com # 64, BP # 88.   Cowser came into the year at 40/41/38, and you can be sure he’s moving up the ladder.  Anyway, for purposes of this conversation (readiness for the major leagues), I think prospect ranking is a bit irrelevant.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The defense has been as good as advertised this year. However, long term… does he have the power to hit the ball over the wall?

Ortiz has played 7 games so far. With solid defense. However, he has not drawn a walk or recorded an extra base hit in 7 games. That is not acceptable. Maybe that sounds harsh, but this is MLB baseball. 7 games without a walk or extra base hit will not fly on a competitive team. He is rookie, but he turns 25 in July. It's a very small sample size, but he has to show a little bit of juice and plate discipline with the bat going forward otherwise he shouldn't be on the MLB roster. It is what it is. Get it done or get a day job. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Ortiz has played 7 games so far. With solid defense. However, he has not drawn a walk or recorded an extra base hit in 7 games. That is not acceptable. Maybe that sounds harsh, but this is MLB baseball. 7 games without a walk or extra base hit will not fly on a competitive team. He is rookie, but he turns 25 in July. It's a very small sample size, but he has to show a little bit of juice and plate discipline with the bat going forward otherwise he shouldn't be on the MLB roster. It is what it is. Get it done or get a day job. 

I want a day job where I can wear floaties and spray all the people in section 86.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr-splash said:

Is this satire?  I’d say pretty much every player in MLB has at least one 7-game stretch every year where they don’t get an XBH or a walk.  And by the way, he’s only had 19 PA in those 7 games.  Ortiz has shown in the minors that he has a decent ability to take a walk and decent pop.  He will show that in the majors if the O’s give him sustained playing time over a couple of months (which they probably won’t, given the other personnel on the team).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I want a day job where I can wear floaties and spray all the people in section 86.

Did you see the mock interview they did with Mr. Splash on the post-game show?  It was pretty funny.  It was done like one of those investigative shows where they disguise the interviewee’s voice and show them in very dim light so you can’t make out their features. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Did you see the mock interview they did with Mr. Splash on the post-game show?  It was pretty funny.  It was done like one of those investigative shows where they disguise the interviewee’s voice and show them in very dim light so you can’t make out their features. 

Yes, and what entertained me even more about it, was that Kevin had talked about an imposter Mr. Splash, and this happened just after the 1st time I noticed Mr. Splash (screen name) make one of his 1st posts on the OH message board lol.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is this satire?  I’d say pretty much every player in MLB has at least one 7-game stretch every year where they don’t get an XBH or a walk.  And by the way, he’s only had 19 PA in those 7 games.  Ortiz has shown in the minors that he has a decent ability to take a walk and decent pop.  He will show that in the majors if the O’s give him sustained playing time over a couple of months (which they probably won’t, given the other personnel on the team).  

We will see. He's played poorly these 7 games. 

On what planet has he played poorly.  Wow, looks like some folks expect Babe Ruth from day one.  Can we give the kid a chance please?  The O’s have a lot of young talent that is very inexperienced at the MLB level.  Young players almost always have an adjustment period.  Gunnar is going through it now.  Ortiz has the potential to be a solid addition.  Mateo was brilliant defensively last year but had issues hitting consistently.  We survived that.  We can give Ortiz some time.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s trolling, not satire. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, coe76 said:

On what planet has he played poorly.  Wow, looks like some folks expect Babe Ruth from day one.  Can we give the kid a chance please?  The O’s have a lot of young talent that is very inexperienced at the MLB level.  Young players almost always have an adjustment period.  Gunnar is going through it now.  Ortiz has the potential to be a solid addition.  Mateo was brilliant defensively last year but had issues hitting consistently.  We survived that.  We can give Ortiz some time.

It's not even that.  I mean, his game isn't as advertised as Babe Ruth.

He's got an elite-level (GOLD GLOVE CALIBER) glove.  He looks like he's got a little pop, too.  

I've been pleased with what I've seen from him.  I'm not expecting, like, prime A-Rod here...partially because he's not been advertised as such.  

Saying he's played poorly is absurd.

• Upvote 2