Ortiz looks like the right man for the job right now.

wildcard

Just now, Mr-splash said:

I stood next to JJ Hardy and he was every bit 6'1" tall. And he was like a piece of iron. Somewhat wiry, but clearly a man possessing strength and power.

I actually went and looked it up after making that post and saw that Ortiz is only listed at 5'9", which makes him 3-4 inches shorter than JJ.  Their batting stance and physical attributes are similar imo.

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Javier Baez? JJ had the great fundamentals but Ortiz seems like he could have that flashy play capability as well. Also a smaller muscly guy.

At the plate he stands like JJ.  Am I alone on this?

Pretty upright, hands up and away from the body.

28 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Was I the only one begging for the Os to pinch hit Ortiz for Mateo tonight?  Mateo with another horrible night at the plate,  0-3 with a walk.   Time to move him to the bench and let Ortiz get most of the starts for a bit. 

At least PH O'Hearn and sub Ortiz for defense. Or just let Ortiz hit.

Mateo has an OPS of .646 in the last 30 games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I continue to be puzzled by Hyder’s inability to find ABs for more than 9 players. Unless they’re Tyler Nevin. He’s always able to find ABs for that guy. I think Vavra is this year’s version. 

Ortiz and McKenna play vs lefties.    McCann catches when Adley needs a break.  O'Hearn has shown a talent for pinch hitting.  Vavra is versatile and can play several positions but I think he is sent down when Urias is activated.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I continue to be puzzled by Hyder’s inability to find ABs for more than 9 players. Unless they’re Tyler Nevin. He’s always able to find ABs for that guy. I think Vavra is this year’s version. 

Really? Seems like Hyde is routinely criticized for his weird lineups and playing guys like McCann, etc. It's a different lineup every day and he empties the bench just about every game (even if that means losing the DH and moving Adley back to C). The only guy he really hasn't played is Stowers, but Stowers may have brought that upon himself. I think he's done a great job of managing a situation where he's got four right-side infielders and a C who needs to take about 1/3 of the DH AB's. If there is an issue it is with the logjam of players keeping prospects from getting AB's, but that is on Elias not Hyde.