Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

My guess on what it would take to get Ohtani would be something like Westburg, Ortiz, Creed Williams, someone in the 15-25 O's prospect range, lottery ticket.  I am against trading for Ohtani because the cost would be so high.

I was watching a trade deadline video and a Yankee fan in the comments said a Yankee package could start with Dominguez and Peraza.  Peraza was ranged 57th (I think has to much mlb time to be in prospect ranking now) and Dominguez was ranked 58th.  

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

My guess on what it would take to get Ohtani would be something like Westburg, Ortiz, Creed Williams, someone in the 15-25 O's prospect range, lottery ticket.  I am against trading for Ohtani because the cost would be so high.

I was watching a trade deadline video and a Yankee fan in the comments said a Yankee package could start with Dominguez and Peraza.  Peraza was ranged 57th (I think has to much mlb time to be in prospect ranking now) and Dominguez was ranked 58th.  

Yeah, that is probably about right, if not a little light (Basallo instead of Willems, maybe). Two top 50-ish overall guys and 3 more interesting prospects is probably the minimum cost. I can't see giving up that much for a rental, especially since they would have to win a 3-game series and a 5-game series before two 7-game series if they can't win the division. Too many weird things can happen in a short series and they might have to win two.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, that is probably about right, if not a little light (Basallo instead of Willems, maybe). Two top 50-ish overall guys and 3 more interesting prospects is probably the minimum cost. I can't see giving up that much for a rental, especially since they would have to win a 3-game series and a 5-game series before two 7-game series if they can't win the division. Too many weird things can happen in a short series and they might have to win two.

Yes, and Ohtani is a great player, but he's human.  What if he only pitches 3 innings and gives up 5 runs and is 1 for 14 in a 3 game series.  There goes that huge investment.  It only takes 1 off day to ruin the return on a rental trade.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yes, and Ohtani is a great player, but he's human.  What if he only pitches 3 innings and gives up 5 runs and is 1 for 14 in a 3 game series.  There goes that huge investment.  It only takes 1 off day to ruin the return on a rental trade.

He still has value as a hitter.

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is a terrible mentality to have.

If you think the price for Ohtani would be too high, that's completely fair. But basing the entire value of the trade on what he did in a single postseason series is incredibly short-sighted.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

This is a terrible mentality to have.

If you think the price for Ohtani would be too high, that's completely fair. But basing the entire value of the trade on what he did in a single postseason series is incredibly short-sighted.

I'm saying that for a rental, no matter how good the player, it would be easy for him to stink in a short series.  All Star/MVP guys have 1 for 20 stretches. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Downside could even be like 0-for-5 with 2 walks in a 2-game series, but that's just baseball.    Strider and Gerrit could have bad games too, if Rick Dempsey can be WS MVP, why not James McCann, etc.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Downside could even be like 0-for-5 with 2 walks in a 2-game series, but that's just baseball.    Strider and Gerrit could have bad games too, if Rick Dempsey can be WS MVP, why not James McCann, etc.

I could see a scenario where Mateo gets hot in the postseason and is WS MVP.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't think Ortiz is a necessity, I think he will be a hell of a luxury as a super utility man making the minimum and will prevent them from having to waste a roster spot on a no-hit utility man behind the core infielders Gunnar / Westburg and Holliday by the end of next season. He could step in for any of the three without the team losing a beat.

It would be a luxury but for his sake I hope he is not forced into a utility role behind top self guys who are going to be in the lineup everyday. I hope he gets a shot to play everyday even if it’s elsewhere.

I also hope that we do not have a hoarders mentality/approach related to every prospect. It seems to me that you would get much better value from a guy who is a top 100 prospect and can be an everyday SS in the Major Leagues than just sticking him on our bench for just in case. The young man will be 26 next year he should be given a chance to start, again even if it is not here which in all likelihood it may not be.

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It would be a luxury but for his sake I hope he is not forced into a utility role behind top self guys who are going to be in the lineup everyday. I hope he gets a shot to play everyday even if it’s elsewhere.

I also hope that we do not have a hoarders mentality/approach related to every prospect. It seems to me that you would get much better value from a guy who is a top 100 prospect and can be an everyday SS in the Major Leagues than just sticking him on our bench for just in case. The young man will be 26 next year he should be given a chance to start, again even if it is not here which in all likelihood it may not be.

Kiké Hernandez averaged 300 at-bats for the Dodgers from 2015-2019 and was an integral part of winning teams. That is the kind of role I see for Ortiz if everything goes well with other infielders.

• Upvote 1