Santander Back to Back Starts at Firstbase

RVAOsFan

10 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I suspect that the orioles are also frustrated with his defense at 1b. He’s missed a lot of scoopable throws. He wasn’t bad at it last year, but he’s hurt the team this year.

If it was about defense, would the answer be to experiment with a converted outfielder who has never played the position? 

15 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I suspect that the orioles are also frustrated with his defense at 1b. He’s missed a lot of scoopable throws. He wasn’t bad at it last year, but he’s hurt the team this year.

I'd say the infielders making poor throws is the real problem.  They weren't bad at it last year, but they've hurt the team this year.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't hate Mountcastle but he is frustrating. Many complained about Jones seeming inability to adjust his approach to address a known weakness. That did not mean they hated Jones. That said we may have better options than a 1B with great power but under .300 OBP. My question was whether the organization has said anything about the curious decision for Santander to start two games in a row.

I will bet that RMC nudges his OBP over .300 before the end of the year.  But he really is walking at a low rate, even for him.  

By the way, the gap between his wOBA and xwOBA, while still significant, has been shrinking.  He’s now at .322/.369.  After 27 games, he was at .291/.393.   He’s had better luck of late, such as last night’s bloop double.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say the infielders making poor throws is the real problem.  They weren't bad at it last year, but they've hurt the team this year.

Infielders are taught to throw the ball down (as their miss) vs up. Urias and Matteo and Odor made plenty of poor throws last year, Mountcastle was one of the league leaders in scoops. This year he’s not making plays he’s expected to make as a major league first baseman. Whether or not someone else is also screwing up, doesn’t actually change that reality. 

Who else do we have that is an actual home run threat?  Sure Cedric, Santandar, and Hays has some pop but we need a guy in the middle of the lineup that the other team fears. 

Monty is on pace for 35 dingers this year. Can’t recall the last Oriole to hit for that many. Again he can improve but I think he will only get better especially next year when he turns 27.