Battle of the Titans: McCann vs. Chirinos

Frobby

Chirinos 2022: 67 games, 220 PA, .179/.265/.287, 4 HR, 22 RBI, 0.1 rWAR, -1.6 fWAR.

McCann 2023: 22 games, 68 PA, .182/.206/.303, 2HR, 5 RBI, -0.3 rWAR, - 0.1 fWAR.

Personally, McCann looks like more of a hitter than Chirinos, but his performance certainly hasn’t been better to date.  Defensively, I do think McCann has the better arm and is better at framing.  Overall, I’d hoped McCann would be more of an upgrade than he has been.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Chirinos 2022: 67 games, 220 PA, .179/.265/.287, 4 HR, 22 RBI, 0.1 rWAR, -1.6 fWAR.

McCann 2023: 22 games, 68 PA, .182/.206/.303, 2HR, 5 RBI, -0.3 rWAR, - 0.1 fWAR.

Personally, McCann looks like more of a hitter than Chirinos, but his performance certainly hasn’t been better to date.  Defensively, I do think McCann has the better arm and is better at framing.  Overall, I’d hoped McCann would be more of an upgrade than he has been.  

Are those just his numbers at C or does it include his DH at bats?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

When we traded for McCann I watched some reactions from Mets fans and they basically forecasted these results to Orioles fans. The way Mets fans talked about McCann was the exact same way I've heard Orioles fans sound when they criticized Chirinos. Nevertheless, I remained hopeful. Still am to some extend. Just with low expectations.

Overall, I think it's a wash. Very minuscule of an upgrade, if any. McCann just has a better cut in his swing. Chirinos seemed to have a dip in the middle of his swing so something mechanically was going on that was hurting his batting production.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Actually makes $ 1 15 M this year and $4.15M next year.Mets are giving less money to the Orioles next year. He signed a nice contract making $12.15 M for 4 years. He is the only Oriole signed for next year. Givens has an option.

What do you mean he is the only Oriole signed for next year? Everyone else goes to arbitration? Even guys like Joey Ortiz, who's on the 40 man?

39 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What do you mean he is the only Oriole signed for next year? Everyone else goes to arbitration? Even guys like Joey Ortiz, who's on the 40 man?

Arbitration and pre arbitration players can be non-tendered by the team.

• Like 1

I know that the results aren't there, but my impression has been that McCann's ABs seem to have more potential than Chirinos. I don't know exactly what stats even to look at. Would it be exit velocity? Barrel rate? Expected batting average or OPS?