Guardians Series - Test for the Defense

Just Regular

The story of the Guardians year has been the inability to put runs on the board, but they still lead MLB in fewest Strikeouts, and Fangraphs still pegs BAL the very worst team at defense YTD.

They won the rubber game today of their Cardinals series, so are coming in on a little bit of a good note.     The Twins haven't played very well, leaving almost everyone a good week away from the division lead.

K-BB standing among Active Roster AL SP

(18) Wells v. (30) Allen

(54) Gibson v. (61) Quantrill

Voth/Irvin v. (49) Bieber

2 of 3 day games in a weekday series with the holiday, and a getaway day out to San Francisco and Alex Cobb for us.     Cleanup hitter Josh Naylor sat out today after fouling a ball off his foot, but X-rays okay and chances are he'll be back for this series.     With the 2.5 day break from WED afternoon to FRI night late, Hyde should have a lot of options for the finale if Wells/Gibson hold serve.

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The most intriguing mystery about this series is who will pitch on Wednesday? Could be Irvin, Could be Voth. Could be DL Hall? Maybe Drew Rom makes his Major League debut? Hmm...

I’ll be shocked if it’s not Irvin.  

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Cleveland was a playoff team last year. I don't really get why they are underperforming this year. Irvin vs Bieber might be the biggest mismatch of the year. Could be a bit of a trap series.

Bieber vs Greyson would have been worse

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah I agree. That seems to be the best option just based on statistical results so far and the 40 Man Roster. Though they would have to option someone so it's entirely possible they might just go with Austin Voth.

This past week, Brian Kenny did a run through of early leaders and what was fueling the success, and the Orioles got an American League second place to Rays in the category of Most Hitters with a 100 OPS+.     It was simple Strong as your Weakest Link stuff, and if you can get league average offensive performance even from your Bottom Six bats, your team will be good even if your best hitters are no better than Adley/Mullins/Hays.

We were up at 10 out of 12 earlier this week, though Mountcastle-Gunnar-McKenna have drifted to the high 90's the last few days.    CLE has Jose Ramirez.

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The most intriguing mystery about this series is who will pitch on Wednesday? Could be Irvin, Could be Voth. Could be DL Hall? Maybe Drew Rom makes his Major League debut? Hmm...

At first I thought it would be Irvin, but pitchers have to stay down for 15 days and not 10 for some reason.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I thought I saw somewhere that pitchers have to stay down 15 days?  If so he won't be eligible (demoted 05/21/23).

EDIT: Found it in the Minor League Options page in the MLB glossary on their site:

Upon being optioned to the Minor Leagues, a position player must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before he is eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster. For pitchers, the minimum is 15 days. If a player is serving as the 27th man for a doubleheader or replacing a player who has been placed on the injured list, there is no minimum number of days for which the optioned player must remain in the Minors.

Edited by Morgan423
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yeah I agree. That seems to be the best option just based on statistical results so far and the 40 Man Roster. Though they would have to option someone so it's entirely possible they might just go with Austin Voth.

I can definitely see a scenario where it would be Voth and Akin if they can avoid using either one until Wednesday. Hope for 5-6 innings from those 2.