Orioles fire Director of Travel Spenser Clark

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m going with he got fired because he couldn’t get Cole Irvin to the ballpark yesterday. He might’ve been stuck on some obscure layover. 

Even though Irvin pitches a day game yesterday? I mean, who doesn't like a conspiracy theory, but it would be hard to get him to Baltimore and have him pitch in Norfolk at the same time.

• Haha 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SemperFi said:

I don't know the guy but years of corporate experience tell me there is something else going on here.  The Orioles have traveled that way periodically for the past 30 years.  He's been on the job for a year so if it were performance related it would require corrective action.    

Or it could be as simple as JA feeling there is only room for one non-practising attorney in the Warehouse.  Admitting I know little of the particulars isn't it a red flag when a recent law school graduate takes a job as a batboy?   

At least in my office (a fortune 100 company) you can definitely get fired on the spot for a single screwup, if the screwup is big enough.  I'm a tech person and this happened with a former coworker that pushed a change to our live website without going through the normal approvals, and the change broke a bunch of our web services.

It's certainly plausible that a serious travel snafu would be the responsibility of the director of travel and could potentially be firable on the spot.

Edited by Hallas

41 minutes ago, Hallas said:

At least in my office (a fortune 100 company) you can definitely get fired on the spot for a single screwup, if the screwup is big enough.  I'm a tech person and this happened with a former coworker that pushed a change to our live website without going through the normal approvals, and the change broke a bunch of our web services.

It's certainly plausible that a serious travel snafu would be the responsibility of the director of travel and could potentially be firable on the spot.

I agree and it certainly depends how aggregious the infraction is.  I worked for a similar sized company so you have an idea-you just don't fire someone for something like this, they aren't employment at will situations.

Having traveled a similar path from above the Bronx quite often after a night game leaving the clubhouse at ~12 getting in at 3/4 seems about right-maybe a little late.

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Yes the situation screams of a diversity hire just to check some boxes.  Something happened and they just couldnt let it slide.  

Jumping to a lot of conclusions there.  Let’s hear some facts.   

I’d be surprised if this guy was fired over one bad travel day.  More likely it was the straw that broke the camel’s back and there have been other issues.  But that’s pure supposition.  

• Like 1