On 6/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, Moose Milligan said:

She’s ok. I sort of disagree that she hasn’t gotten better at her job. Or maybe I just don’t mind her as much. 

She’s also not our full time play by play announcer so the outrage of how bad she is at PBP is a bit silly.  If we have to listen to her call a few games a year because Kevin Brown is off somewhere researching more pop culture references and Geoff Arnold is on the radio, it’s not the worst thing in the world. 

This is a fanbase who had to suffer through the Michael Reghi years. And Jim “modest two game hitting streak” Hunter.  You would think there’d be some awareness and recollection as to how bad it’s actually been at times. 

It could be worse. Melanie isn’t great but she’s not the full time PBP announcer and that’s a good thing.  

She is fine. It just isn't that big of a deal. 

I like Melanie Newman. I like Kevin Brown.

However, I don't love these two as a duo. It gets too quippy. It's like they're both trying to one-up the other with references and sarcasm. Like, "Relax, just call the game." 

They both do way better when paired with someone like Ben McDonald. He brings in that former-player ethos and keeps the conversation grounded in baseball.

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Did you mean 94? Oriole Park at Candem Yards didn't exist in 1984.

Yes.  My bad.  Section 84.  Devo always said hi to fans when he came out.  Lot of little mini hat tips/curtain calls to the LF section fans during his time in CF & LF.  

37 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Honest question to you (and others that think she's fine)....

Have you tried listening on the radio?  To either her or Garceau?

On TV I don't think they're very good but I don't really care because I can see the action.  But while I respect everyone's opinion I don't understand how people could think that either are acceptable on the radio.

Edited by glenn__davis
  • Upvote 1

She was terrible on the call for the Sabol homerun yesterday. It went something like “Santander back towards the wall, he turns and it’s off the top of the wall! *5 second pause* The Sabol homerun makes it a 7-2 ball game” I was listening thinking the ball was off the wall and in play, stuff like that just happens far to often with her or Garceau on the radio, where you’re just sitting there wondering what just happened. 

7 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

She was terrible on the call for the Sabol homerun yesterday. It went something like “Santander back towards the wall, he turns and it’s off the top of the wall! *5 second pause* The Sabol homerun makes it a 7-2 ball game” I was listening thinking the ball was off the wall and in play, stuff like that just happens far to often with her or Garceau on the radio, where you’re just sitting there wondering what just happened. 

Haha, I heard that - but ironically she had done the EXACT same thing, either during the Rangers or Indians series, so this time I was prepared for what she meant lol.

23 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Haha, I heard that - but ironically she had done the EXACT same thing, either during the Rangers or Indians series, so this time I was prepared for what she meant lol.

It was the Naylor homer off of Perez where she did that previously.  

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You mean the stadium announcer?  I agree, she’s fine.  And honestly, I really don’t care about the stadium announcer very much.  

I agree, I just said I have hard time understanding her in the few games I've been too over the last few years. I also stated it very well could be the terrible sound system in the sections I've been in as well.

As a non MASN subscriber for several years, it's fairly typical for me to catch up on O's games a few hours after they end on YouTube by watching the "official" MLB highlights.

Yesterday got to hear a lot of Jon Miller calling the game.  It made me smile......and then weep.

Ah, memories.

2 hours ago, SilentJames said:

She's really not fine.  She's not great at what she does when it comes to PBP.

I agree with you that listening to her because she's a backup isn't a big deal.  I think I'd be watching games on mute if she was the full time PBP announcer.

But I think if states that she's "fine" or "good" at PBP, they're lying to the audience because they're more interested in making everyone aware of their social agenda.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brian88 said:

I'll just add, in the MLB.com highlights they have her call of the Josh Lester RBI single, and she misses what happened the botched cutoff that allowed the third run to score from first. She just stops paying attention to the play and is caught off guard when the third run scores.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-giants/2023/06/04/717890/final/wrap