Hicks > McKenna

Frobby

I don’t know how long Aaron Hicks will play as welL as he’s played over the week he’s been on the team, but I’ve seen enough of him to decide I like him as a 4th/5th OF more than I like McKenna.  He shows decent speed and good instincts in the OF, he’s got a good eye at the plate, and he has decent pop.  When Mullins is ready to return, I’d favor keeping Hicks and optioning McKenna.  

I realize there’s a whole separate discussion about whether and when to call up Colton Cowser.   I’m leaving that issue to the side for now.  For me, the simple equation here is Hicks > McKenna.  

• Upvote 4

I agree. And there's an entirely separate discussion about what to do with McKenna at Norfolk so he's not taking any time away from key prospects like Kjerstad, Hudson, and Cowser. I feel like I'm missing one other. But I should probably throw John Rhodes into that list because he's been smashing bombs at Bowie and I can imagine he's forcing his name to come up in discussions about potential promotions (to Norfolk).

35 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I’d keep both.  Righty-Lefty.  Send Lester out.

Hicks is a switch-hitter. Career: .704 vs. RHP; .741 vs. LHP. More walks and power batting right-handed.

Edited by LA2
right-handed, not "left-handed"
  • Upvote 3

Switch-hitting Aaron Hicks is now 13 for 36 with 6 BB, 2 HR, and 2 doubles over his last 14 games, half of which were with the Y's and three of which he entered late, like yesterday agin the Brewers. That comes to a .361 BA and .452 OBP. He's on a 7-game reached-base streak, all with the O's--and has also played good defense.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 4

I was surprised to see the esteemed @Frobby authoring such a scorching hot take.

It's not that I'm a huge McKenna fan (I'm not, and I think there's a good chance we miss the playoffs by one game, and when that happens we'll all look at his dropped fly ball) but this is a simple decision based on one big factor for me; Hicks is 33, McKenna is 26.  

There's a lot to like about Hicks, but this is an extreme small sample size and I'm sure the love affair that this board is having with him will cool whenever his bat does.  At that point, I believe the differences between him and McKenna will be largely imperceptible and debating them will be the equivalent of arguing about which item off the menu at Taco Bell is less likely to give you diarrhea.  But then again, this is the OH and this is what we do.

If someone wants to render McKenna as kind of a doofus who doesn't always have his head in the game and is prone to making bad decisions on the basepaths, you won't get an argument from me there.  Hicks probably has him beat in that department.  But I don't believe this is some easy, clear cut decision.

I said it before earlier this week, I'll say it again:  This place is really weird.  There was such a backlash about the Hicks signing (even though it made complete sense) that I think we all forgot about Adam Frazier for a second.  And he's played better than anyone's expected in an extremely small sample size and now there's this burgeoning love affair to keep him as a 4th outfielder.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Cowser may be promoted on  Monday and be with the team for   Tuesday vs the Blue Jays.  If Cowser gets 14 PA from Friday through Sunday he will have 200 PAs this year.   McKenna or Lester  may be optioned at that point.

An outfield of Hays, Hicks, and Cowser is possible  with Santander  DHing  when Adley is not.  Cowser would be become the leadoff batter until Mullins returns.   Because the offense needs a boost I think Cowser has a good   chance at a promotion.

I have seen no projection on when Mullins returns.

Edited by wildcard

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cowser may be promoted on  Monday and be with the team for   Tuesday vs the Blue Jays.  If Cowser gets 14 PA from Friday through Sunday he will have 200 PAs this year.   McKenna may be optioned at that point.

An outfield of Hays, Hicks, and Cowser is possible  with Santander  DHing  when Adley is not.  Cowser would be become the leadoff batter until Mullins returns.   Because the offense needs a boost I think Cowser has a good   chance at a promotion.

I have seen no projection on when Mullins returns.

I will be completely shocked if Hyde sticks Cowser in the leadoff spot. They'll more than likely move him down in the order until he shows he can hit major league pitching.  

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I will be completely shocked if Hyde sticks Cowser in the leadoff spot. They'll more than likely move him down in the order until he shows he can hit major league pitching.  

Come along now, Jagwar, let’s not get in the way of wildcard’s fantasyland. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I can see that.   But Cowser is a leadoff type hitter.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Come along now, Jagwar, let’s not get in the way of wildcard’s fantasyland. 

I am pretty happy with the calls I have made.  92 wins might even to low.   Called Kjerstad being promoted at 200 PA.    No fantasy there.

I think you stay with Hicks here.  He’s earned another week and if he stays the course he then probably earns his spot until the All Star break.   Cowser>McKenna too, but Mullins is the starting CF on this team and when ready he reclaims his spot full time.  

11 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

I think you stay with Hicks here.  He’s earned another week and if he stays the course he then probably earns his spot until the All Star break.   Cowser>McKenna too, but Mullins is the starting CF on this team and when ready he reclaims his spot full time.  

Too many good players.   Where do they get playing time?  Oh, such a problem.