Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

Missed one.  

Good to know that the Nationals include Expos players.

Spoiler

Nolan Ryan, empty, Mike Scott

Adrian Beltre, Trea Turner, Don Sutton

Gary Pettis, Gary Carter, Greg Maddux

I really thought that Jim Palmer had struck out 200 batters and won a gold glove in a season, come to find out that he never struck out 200 batters in a season.  That was my miss and then I went with the safe bet, Greg Maddux.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:08 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I think @DrungoHazewoodneeds to play this game.

I've heard a lot of people talk about it, but haven't tried. As SteveA said, I'd excel in the super-popular categories like stars of the Union Association, or Guys Who Had Delayed MLB Careers Because They Spent So Long in the PCL in the 1910s.

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:06 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Missed one.  

Good to know that the Nationals include Expos players.

Reveal hidden contents

Nolan Ryan, empty, Mike Scott

Adrian Beltre, Trea Turner, Don Sutton

Gary Pettis, Gary Carter, Greg Maddux

I really thought that Jim Palmer had struck out 200 batters and won a gold glove in a season, come to find out that he never struck out 200 batters in a season.  That was my miss and then I went with the safe bet, Greg Maddux.

And the Brewers include the Seattle Pilots, which allowed me to use Jim Bouton today!

The Wednesday puzzle has two very easy non-team categories, so there were only 4 team/team squares, and I got my lowest score ever, 52.

Spoiler
Columns:   Blue Jays, A's, All-Star
  • Rays Row:  Steve Pearce 3%, Carlos Pena 12%, Wander Franco 5%
  • Twins Row:  Jack Morris 5%, Brent Rooker 5%, Kirby Puckett 10%
  • 100 RBI row:  Jesse Barfield 0.8%, Jose Canseco 10%, Eddie Murray 0.2%

I screwed up and got 8 out of 9. The guy I took for BJs and Twins is who I should have taken for Twins and As. I kept thinking of As and BJs players but not the other one…but was too fast putting in an answer and when I answered for As and twins, I was sure that the guy had played for Minnesota too but was wrong.

A good strategy in that game is making sure you take your time and make sure that obvious answers don’t apply in multiple spots and if they do, put him in the harder of the 2 spots.

I tend to overlook that and just think of a name and put it down. That actually was the case for 2 categories today.

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Wednesday puzzle has two very easy non-team categories, so there were only 4 team/team squares, and I got my lowest score ever, 52.

Reveal hidden contents
Columns:   Blue Jays, A's, All-Star
  • Rays Row:  Steve Pearce 3%, Carlos Pena 12%, Wander Franco 5%
  • Twins Row:  Jack Morris 5%, Brent Rooker 5%, Kirby Puckett 10%
  • 100 RBI row:  Jesse Barfield 0.8%, Jose Canseco 10%, Eddie Murray 0.2%

I had my best score of 55. Our bottom row was almost the same, but I took the Blue Jays teammate from that team which was 3%.

I used two HOFers.

My All Star column added up to 3.5%.

Rarity score of 33 today.

Spoiler

Steve Pearce, Jose Canseco, Greg Vaughn

Dave Winfield, Terry Steinbach, Frank Viola

George Bell, Eric Chavez, Miguel Tejada

I think people can get better at this game.  You start looking at players and remembering guys you might have forgotten about but then you can use them a few days later.  I think I've used Frank Viola 2-3 times now in varying situations.

Thursday's is tough.   I had to fry quite a few brain cells to get 8/9.

Spoiler

Why was I so certain that Mark Gubicza played for the Giants at some point late in his career???   I didn't even feel much doubt as I typed that in.   But he spent his entire career with KC except for one year at the end with the Angels.