Adley in the HR Derby

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Not a fan of this for a variety of reasons: 

1. that’s an exhausting event 

2. that event has proven to mess with players swing’s. 

3. going max effort like that is a recipe for injury.  Hasn’t happened to my knowledge in MLB but have seen that happen at amateur level a bit.

I understand and commend the man for marketing himself and the team but I don’t think it’s a prudent decision.  

With all that said I’ll be rooting for him :) 

1. He’s what 25 years old?  This event will not ‘exhaust’ him that’s silly. 

2.  That hasn’t been proven anywhere. 

3.  You said yourself no one has ever been hurt. 

it’s an opportunity for one of ‘our guys’ to get more exposure. But hey feel free to turn that into a negative. 

14 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I am curious if Adley will take swings from the right side, left side or both?  Any thoughts?

I would be surprised if Adley doesn't bat left handed, he has hit much better against RHP compared to LHP so far during his brief career.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=rutscad01&year=Career&t=b

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 17-48-41 Adley Rutschman Career Batting Splits Baseball-Reference.com.png

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, tntoriole said:

Man I wish they would get rid of this stupid useless exercise that mainly gets players either hurt or off kilter in their swing.  And Adley does not belong and I wish he was not in it

I don't care about the derby one way or another but I don't recall anyone injuring themselves and I've never seen anything that looks like actual evidence of it hindering performance.

The way I see it, it's a show for the kids and a chance for the players to show off.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

1. He’s what 25 years old?  This event will not ‘exhaust’ him that’s silly. 

2.  That hasn’t been proven anywhere. 

3.  You said yourself no one has ever been hurt. 

it’s an opportunity for one of ‘our guys’ to get more exposure. But hey feel free to turn that into a negative. 

I disagree and it’s been fairly well documented.  Google “home run derby is exhausting” and you’ll come across a bunch of articles like this.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-07-18/mlb-home-run-derby-after-effects-players

And turns out there has quite a few documented injuries as well. 

Edited by emmett16

“I’m really excited,” Rutschman said. “I’ve got my dad (Randy) throwing me BP. Just one of those things that I think you dream about as a kid. To be able to do it with my dad is awesome.

“Easiest decision. It’s one of those things you have to do.”

Rutschman said he’ll start out hitting from the left side. He hasn’t plotted out a strategy.

“I haven’t been in a Home Run Derby since I was like 8 years old, so we’ll figure it out,” he said.

“I’m going to have my normal swing until the Home Run Derby, and then I guess we’ll just figure it out on that day what we want to do.”

Randy Rutschman last threw batting practice to his son over the offseason.

“I guess we talked about it in the past, if I were to do a Home Run Derby, would he be the one?” Rutschman said. “The answer for me has always been him. We knew.”

Having the event in Seattle is going to bring lots of family and friends from Rutschman’s home state of Oregon.

“The announcement just came out, but they’re super excited to go,” he said. “I know my dad’s really excited. I know there’s going to be a lot of stuff going on, a lot on the schedule, but it’ll be fun just to be a part of it.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/updating-hays-and-westburg-injuries-mccann-s-return-rutschman-s-selection-to-home-run-derby-and-more

I’m excited for Adley to have that experience with his dad.  

Didn’t seem to hinder Cal much in ‘91. But this is the part where @Frobbygoes and looks up stats about how Cal’s 2nd half wasn’t as good as the first. 

I’m not worried about this hurting his swing or him getting exhausted or whatever. He gets a cool father/son moment at the stadium closest to where he grew up. One should be so lucky. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn’t seem to hinder Cal much in ‘91. But this is the part where @Frobbygoes and looks up stats about how Cal’s 2nd half wasn’t as good as the first. 

I’m not worried about this hurting his swing or him getting exhausted or whatever. He gets a cool father/son moment at the stadium closest to where he grew up. One should be so lucky. 

Just like everything there is risk/reward.  Should he take the opportunity, hell yea.  Is it a once in a lifetime chance to further his brand and have an unreal moment with his pops, hell yea.  But with that said, it comes with a risk.  Injuries are most likely to occur in two scenarios 1: when an athletes muscles are worn down and can no longer protect ligaments/tendons at 100% 2: when an athlete is exerting max effort over a sustained amount of time.  My point is, as a fan of how the Os do in the second half, I’d selfishly like for him to avoid an event where he will be both exhausted & exerting max effort over a sustained amount of time.  As a fan of Adley, baseball, and a guy that simply wants to be entertained, Im all about it.  But again, everything in life comes with a risk.  Is the risk too big in this case, absolutely not - but there is the underlying risk nonetheless.  In general I don’t consider myself risk averse.  But with young athletes/assets I tend to be a bit more cautious.  A friend of mine’s HS son was slated to be drafted this year round 4-5ish but will not because of a broken hamate bone in his hand suffered at a PG HR derby contest.  I posted the LA times article that mentioned a couple injuries, Judge shoulder being the most significant.  I’ve seen this happen time and time again with kids at amateur level going to hard for too long and coming away with a season ending injury.  But again, that’s me being a worry wart and I’m happy he gets this opportunity.  I’m excited to watch him.