So who are the sellers right now?

Jagwar

Who are the sellers this month at the deadline as of right now?

AL East - NONE

AL Central - Tigers, White Sox, Royals

AL West - A's

NL East - Mets, Nationals

NL Central - Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals

NL West - Padres?, Rockies

I didn't include the Mariners or Angels as they are only 4ish games back of the Wild Card. Heck, the Tigers are only 5.5 games back of the Indians in the AL Central. 

I think your list is good. I wonder if the addition of the extra wild card team, changes the trade landscape at the deadline.  I think we might see contenders, both strong and fringe, finding that their trade partners are other contenders looking to do the same thing.

I wouldn’t be so sure that the Mets will sell. 

The Tigers are most probably going to sell, just as Elias chose to do so last year. They know they are not serious contenders to win a title and for a rebuilding team the value of adding to future teams/cores is much more important than chasing an improbable playoff birth that is most probable to end in an early exist even if you get there.

The problem with this year is that most of those teams don’t have much (and in some cases anything) that is desirable to contenders. 

As far as the “seller’s market” thing goes, we shall see. Aroldis Chapman certainly didn’t go for a seller’s price.

The Padre's owner doesn't seem like the selling type to me. He seems to think he can buy a championship.

But if the Padre's are considered sellers, then that means the Cubs should also be considered sellers because their record is 2 games worst than the Padre's, which is the same number of games different between each of their respective division's leaders.

There is also the prevailing rumors that Bieber will be dealt from Cleveland. And that the Brewers might be interested in moving Burnes for the right offer, because Burnes still is not happy with how they handled him during Arbitration plus the Brewers did a bilateral trade last year with Hader when they were in the middle of a playoff push. There's the lingering rumor that Max Fried wanted to be traded in the offseason because of his own contract situation, and the Braves have been dominating MLB without him even being active.

There could be several teams looking to move on from contract situations. There's already rumors about the 2 New York teams negotiating for the other to take on a bad contract if the team paying for the contract can get a good bullpen arm. The Mets would pay for Donaldson's contract if they could also get Ian Hamilton to help solve their bullpen.

I don't think the trade market is limited to just bad teams who are out of the playoff picture that are considered "Sellers". I think we will see some nice bilateral trades.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Who are the sellers this month at the deadline as of right now?

AL East - NONE

AL Central - Tigers, White Sox, Royals

AL West - A's

NL East - Mets, Nationals

NL Central - Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals

NL West - Padres?, Rockies

I didn't include the Mariners or Angels as they are only 4ish games back of the Wild Card. Heck, the Tigers are only 5.5 games back of the Indians in the AL Central. 

Do you think the Mets and Padres are really throwing in the towel? I don't think so.

It’s a terrible market. You have the right list, but I think (1) the Mets and Padres think they still have an outside shot this season, (2) the White Sox and Cardinals are having terrible seasons and thought they would be contenders and (3) the Cubs and maybe the Pirates are ascending teams on the verge of competing soon. As a result, I think all are unlikely to be willing to deal anybody with team control beyond this season, and the Mets and Padres may even be unwilling to move rental players hitting free agency this offseason. 

The remaining teams that are firm sellers are so bad that they hardly have any worthwhile players that aren’t rentals headed to free agency after this season. 

Altogether, it’s shaping up to be a lackluster trading deadline with only impending free agents getting moved in cheap deals, unless we get some unusual contender to contender deals, which are certainly more likely now given these circumstances than in years past. 

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Do you think the Mets and Padres are really throwing in the towel? I don't think so.

The Mets are 42-48, 18.5 games back of the Braves and 7 games back of the Giants for the last wild card spot. They should be sellers

I had a question mark next to the Padres, because they are only 6 games back of the last wild card spot. They may not be sellers yet but they are close. 

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

The Mets are 42-48, 18.5 games back of the Braves and 7 games back of the Giants for the last wild card spot. They should be sellers

I had a question mark next to the Padres, because they are only 6 games back of the last wild card spot. They may not be sellers yet but they are close. 

Yeah, but the Mets are not rationale right now. 

Teams that don't sell because they have a marginal shot at a wild card will regret it later. It will be a sellers market and there are plenty of good prospects to be had. 

This is one reason why I hate the wild card and expanded playoffs. It used to be that, in order to win a championship, you needed to put together an excellent, even dominant, 162-game season and then back it up by beating similarly excellent teams in the playoffs. Now you can just #@$% around, get 86 wins, and bs your way to a pennant, like the Phillies did last year. I don't know what the point of a 162-game season is if we are going to let more than a third of the teams in at the end of it. 

For the Orioles, I want a division title or nothing. I'm not interested in wild card lottery tickets. I want to win the toughest division in baseball and then go from there. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Mets and Pads are two teams for whom the next 3-4 weeks will determine what they do. Regardless of payroll, there is no use in hanging on to pending FAs if they are 8+ games out of the WC. I think they will give themselves every chance to go on a run before the deadline, though.

The Padres have a better run differential than the top three wildcard team in the NL. Unless they completely collapse before the trade deadline I can't see them being sellers.

They've been pretty much been all-in the last few seasons and I don't see them throwing the towel on this season. If they reconsider, I'd love to get Josh Hader to form a three headed monster bullpen with Cano & Bautista.

Shouldn't the Orioles be sellers as well?  People usually think of sellers being motivated by trying to trade some aging good veterans for more young high ceiling players who are for the future.

The Orioles may be in a different situation, where they have to painfully clear out some good veteran players or even good young players to get better prospects onto the MLB roster.

1 hour ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Shouldn't the Orioles be sellers as well?  People usually think of sellers being motivated by trying to trade some aging good veterans for more young high ceiling players who are for the future.

The Orioles may be in a different situation, where they have to painfully clear out some good veteran players or even good young players to get better prospects onto the MLB roster.

Yes, Frazier, Mateo for certain