Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not down on him at all. I'd rather he play everyday record be damned. I'm not sure the powers that be are satisfied with .158/.333/.158. He hasn't been starting, so I assume they aren't really comfortable letting him get the necessary ABs to make the adjustment.

If Mullins can’t play I assume Cowser will stay and get most starts in CF or RF with Hicks in the other spot and Santander at DH against RH pitching.  also think Hyde and company are happy with the quality of his AB’s and will keep giving him chances.   That would have been difficult with Mullins healthy.

33 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Has there been any updates on Mullins?

Gotta figure he’s sitting today even if it’s best case, day to day.   He said it tightened up on him.  A quad pull is a slow healing injury but it sounded less than that.   Good chance he avoids the IL and they just give him a few days before he tests it again.

On 7/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, wildcard said:

This off season sign him to a one year contract plus an option year.   If he does well next year pick up the option.  If he does do well let him go.

Also with the option year if he does well next year and  Mayo is ready to take over 1st at some point next year they can trade O"Hearn.

The leverage for what they can sign O’Hearn to contract-wise is affected by his current rookie contract control. He made $1.4M in arbitration this year and even with the strong year, with the way arbitration works will not make more than $3-5M in 2024. If O’Hearn continues as this player, he would be due for something like $6-9M in arbitration in 2025 (if the Orioles gain that control by sending him down). His market value for his 2025 season would be higher than that, probably by $1-5M depending on how they next 1.5 seasons go. So there is potential for $1-5M in surplus value by sending O’Hearn down. 

However, it’s likely a moot point now because of the Mullins injury, and in any case I (and likely the Orioles) would rather have O’Hearn in the lineup for the next 3 weeks than $1-5M of surplus value in 2025. There is also the “human element” of clubhouse morale sending down your #4 hitter in the midst of a playoff chase, in addition to the certain disgruntlement that O’Hearn would have as a result (and even potential MLBPA grievance/complaint for service time manipulation). I was just pointing out that these are the types of things that analytical teams consider.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, crawjo said:

This isn't a comment just prompted by this game, but I've felt all year that the criticism against Frazier has been mostly unwarranted. He's a solid player who should be getting fairly regular at-bats the last couple months. 

This issue has been beaten to death, but the criticism is not against Frazier but against the wisdom of signing him for $8 million when we had multiple cheaper and probably better options.  Yes, he's had two good offensive games in a row, as any major leaguer will have from time to time.  But over the course of the year he's been below average offensively and defensively, and not worth the salary (for a small market team) or the loss of player development time for 3 top 100 prospects.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Otter said:

This issue has been beaten to death, but the criticism is not against Frazier but against the wisdom of signing him for $8 million when we had multiple cheaper and probably better options.  Yes, he's had two good offensive games in a row, as any major leaguer will have from time to time.  But over the course of the year he's been below average offensively and defensively, and not worth the salary (for a small market team) or the loss of player development time for 3 top 100 prospects.

Yeah, I don't agree. He's been worth 1.4 WAR so far this year, which is solid. His OPS+ on the season is right around 100, which is above average for a second baseman. He complements the roster well as a left-handed hitter and has a clear role on the team. I also don't agree that we are losing "player development time" for anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gotta figure he’s sitting today even if it’s best case, day to day.   He said it tightened up on him.  A quad pull is a slow healing injury but it sounded less than that.   Good chance he avoids the IL and they just give him a few days before he tests it again.

And Hicks scratched two. So with no roster moves we are now playing down a pitcher and a fielder. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:05 PM, survivedc said:

Recalling Mountcastle was so frustrating, forced an issue earlier than it needed to be solved. He’s probably got the most limited skill set of anyone on the team. Can you send him back down at this point and not ruin his confidence or buy in?

On 7/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, Bahama O's Fan said:

I hope it's Frazier but know it won't be

Sounds like Mullins will not be placed on the IL imminently. Likely they option one of Bazardo/Vespi for Grayson tomorrow and then the other for Perez eventually. 

If they would be sticking with the extra position player because of the roster crunch regardless, it makes sense to give Mullins a few days to see how his leg responds. 

The real test is going to be when they feel like they need a fresh arm in the pen. But they now have Irvin available for mop up duty so they should be ok in the near term. 

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Sounds like Mullins will not be placed on the IL imminently. Likely they option one of Bazardo/Vespi for Grayson tomorrow and then the other for Perez eventually. 

If they would be sticking with the extra position player because of the roster crunch regardless, it makes sense to give Mullins a few days to see how his leg responds. 

The real test is going to be when they feel like they need a fresh arm in the pen. But they now have Irvin available for mop up duty so they should be ok in the near term. 

With today’s performance I’d assume it’s going to be Bazardo. I hate having to burn Coulombe here in a game that was 5-0 in the 9th. 

Edited by banks703

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

With today’s performance I’d assume it’s going to be Bazardo. I hate having to burn Coulombe here in a game that was 5-0 in the 9th. 

I could imagine Grayson and Irvin being a good tag team duo tommorrow if the situation determines it.