Tuesday, July 18: Orioles try to even series with Dodgers

SteveA

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one here says that.

We've all seen too many big time prospects fail at the highest level.

We dealt with the Switch Hitting Jesus being a pretty average bat for goodness sake.

Tangent but switch-hitting Jesus' MLEs apparently caused Fangraphs to change their minor league equivalency formula for their projection systems (ZIPS, Steamer, etc.) because it uncovered a flaw in their formula.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I get that .. I understand.. i saw rookies come up in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc.  

What I am saying is we can’t just always totally be rigidly adhering to a plan of bringing up and developing the prospects as the only tool in the toolbox when we  find ourselves ahead of a winning schedule. 

I am patiently waiting to see if this team gets any other reinforcements or they just go with the current squad. 

Then I hope that you acquired some patience through all those years. I have been watching baseball much less time than you, only since 1988. 

Because the game has changed so much in just the amount of time that I have been watching (35 years) I know that what happened 30 years ago, let alone 10 has very little relevance to what is going on now.

Yes we are winning and are in a playoff race/chase, but there aren't many really good vets to lean on. We have the choice of 8 infielders (some young, some older) most of the older ones aren't that good in Frazier, Urias, Mateo. O'Hearn has done really well this year, but by no means is an allstar. Thus, Westburg and Henderson have been worked into the infield. 

The outfield is different because we have 3 high performing (semi-veteran players) in Hays, Mullins and Santander. But with Mullins hurt and a DH spot open, Cowser is being worked in.

I don't have a problem with how the Orioles have deployed their young guys to this point. I'm not sure how much more conservative an approach that they could/can take. They held Westburg in AAA for a year and Cowser (the current #13 prospect in the sport according to MLB) got 300 ABs at AAA between last year and this year.

What would you recommend that they do different?

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

It's a tough call.  He's hitting better than Westburg, Mateo, and Urias.  And this team needs offense. 

The difference between Urias and Frazier as a hitter is nowhere near big enough for me to care given how much of a butcher Frazier is at 2nd.

Just now, Yossarian said:

It's a tough call.  He's hitting better than Westburg, Mateo, and Urias.  And this team needs offense. 

I wouldn't say he's hitting better than Urias -- and Westburg has been grinding out there.  Frazier's bat has been clutch but he won't get at bats much longer if he keeps messing up in the field.