Tuesday, July 18: Orioles try to even series with Dodgers

SteveA

I just have to remember Cal Ripken sucked at SS in the beginning also.  High errors for like two seasons.  He threw the ball all over the damn place.  So maybe Gunnar will figure it out and start making the throws.....

He also dives a lot and usually lets the ball roll under his glove.  Tired of that as well. 

The Os are kinda of caught.  Norfolk is a dominate team not really challenged by any team in AAA.  But it’s meaningless unless a few of these prospects can contribute to the ML team this year.  Prospects take time to develop unless they are elite.      Westburg and Cowser are likely to be solid but not elite and may not be major contributors for a year or more.      Maybe it’s time to try some other options Ortiz looked ready before and elite defensively, has a bit of an edge.  Maybe HK is more likely to hit HRs right away.     Consider trading prospects for an elite 1B - Paul Goldschmidt? 

1 minute ago, Pat Kelly said:

The Os are kinda of caught.  Norfolk is a dominate team not really challenged by any team in AAA.  But it’s meaningless unless a few of these prospects can contribute to the ML team this year.  Prospects take time to develop unless they are elite.      Westburg and Cowser are likely to be solid but not elite and may not be major contributors for a year or more.      Maybe it’s time to try some other options Ortiz looked ready before and elite defensively, has a bit of an edge.  Maybe HK is more likely to hit HRs right away.     Consider trading prospects for an elite 1B - Paul Goldschmidt? 

Honestly I am not a fan of the idea of trading lots of prospects for this team.  Not yet.  

39 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Oh one more thing, just to be clear, you are good with playing Westburg since you didn't mention him? Is it that you just don't like Cowser as a player/prospect or do you think Hicks is that much better right now?

Hicks is playing much better than the rookie to date.   I think Westburg getting more time will mean Urias will be worse, Frazier will be worse when and if they come off the bench.. and then there is Mateo.. Mountcastle.. it is not clear where this goes over next month at all. 

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

He definitely has airmalled balls. But do you think his range or hands are better tools than his arm? He has a cannon even if it's not always accurate. I think that can be refined from 3B, whereas I haven't seen much from him to show that he's particularly good at getting to balls he has no right to or turning good DPs with teammates. The one thing that has stood out to me is that he has nifty footwork around second when turning a DP by himself, but I'm not sure how much value that skill has.

His arm strength is great but a lack of accuracy lowers the tool grade.

I'd say that right now his arm is the weakest part of his defensive game. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

Hicks is playing much better than the rookie to date.   I think Westburg getting more time will mean Urias will be worse, Frazier will be worse when and if they come off the bench.. and then there is Mateo.. Mountcastle.. it is not clear where this goes over next month at all. 

If Mullins is still unavailable, I'd have to think Hicks plays at least 3 games in CF.  Can't stick Cowser in the CF with that crappy roof in TB.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Hicks over the last 28 days:

197 /296/ 393

/689

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

His arm strength is great but a lack of accuracy lowers the tool grade.

I'd say that right now his arm is the weakest part of his defensive game. 

Interesting, hadn't thought of it that way, but I guess objectively he almost certainly has more errors with overthrows than dropping balls etc. I suppose I'm projecting long term in the sense that his arm could be an asset at 3B and the ceiling on his range/hands could be covered up at 3B more than SS. Personally, I would like to have Ortiz get an extended tryout at SS, which would allow Gunnar to focus on 3B. Even if Ortiz flames out, Holliday isn't too far away. Gunnar needs the reps at 3B imo.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Lots of strategic decisions need to be made for tommorrow's game knowing that we have a more important division game for 1st place coming up the following day on Thursday.  We need fresh quality bullpen arms for Thursday.

Irvin may go down. Doesn’t deserve it. Need to add at least one maybe 2 arms. 

Cowser has now been modified into in a guy swinging when he should take …..and looking when he should swing . They have “stowered” him!

Rutschman needs both remedial offensive and defensive work. Noticed typical inept 2 on nobody out scenario following Hyde  requirement that nobody move before 3 useless outs. The performance looks exactly like the effort in the 5 game losing streak prior to 8 game win streak

Hyde refusing to observe  actual game in front of you regarding Wells. It was clear in second inning he was way off his form with no control or location but sawdust Hyde leaves him in for worst career start.  nothing but mediocre mid relief to replace him but you still take him out and take your chance before allowing 5 runs to seal game with pathetic offense, Unless Wells is injured I wonder if this is what baseball gods demand when you screw around with starting rotation by moving everybody a day from their accustomed spot. These organizational morons better not have screwed up the one piece of alchemy that was working.