Tuesday, July 18: Orioles try to even series with Dodgers

SteveA

I think Gunnar could hang at SS, but he's ideally a 3B imo. His best tool in the field by far is his arm. For some reason, his range seems limited. He's better at SS than 3B right now, but I would like if he just focused on charging balls and covering the line from third, which I think he could become good at without all of the responsibilities at short.

• Upvote 1

The last two games against the Dodgers have been about the sloppiest the Orioles have played all year.  With maybe the disasters opening weekend against Boston.  Other than that I am hard pressed to remember two more craptastic games all season.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I think Gunnar could hang at SS, but he's ideally a 3B imo. His best tool in the field by far is his arm. For some reason, his range seems limited. He's better at SS than 3B right now, but I would like if he just focused on charging balls and covering the line from third, which I think he could become good at without all of the responsibilities at short.

Gunnar's best tool, by far, is his arm?

Hasn't he had a pretty significant number of poor throws this season, to include a pretty iffy one earlier this game?

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

The last two games against the Dodgers have been about the sloppiest the Orioles have played all year.  With maybe the disasters opening weekend against Boston.  Other than that I am hard pressed to remember two more craptastic games all season.

Rock solid teams with cache can make you look that way. The Ravens have walked into tons of upstart teams' stadiums and burst many bubbles over the years. The Miami Heat can do that in basketball. We're the upstart here.

"He can't throw. He can't scoop. Together, they're breaking all the rules."

'O'Hearn! You better rein in your partner! He's a loose cannon out there!'

'Dammit, Chief, who do you think I am, Mountcastle?'

"It's the run-allowing buddy cop movie of the summer, O'Hearn and Henderson!"

• Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Gunnar's best tool, by far, is his arm?

Hasn't he had a pretty significant number of poor throws this season, to include a pretty iffy one earlier this game?

He definitely has airmalled balls. But do you think his range or hands are better tools than his arm? He has a cannon even if it's not always accurate. I think that can be refined from 3B, whereas I haven't seen much from him to show that he's particularly good at getting to balls he has no right to or turning good DPs with teammates. The one thing that has stood out to me is that he has nifty footwork around second when turning a DP by himself, but I'm not sure how much value that skill has.