What is your realistic best case trade deadline outcome?

Sports Guy

Is Ohtani not realistic?

Then Montgomery/Snell/someone of that ilk.  I am ok trading 2 prospects not named Mayo Holliday or Kjerstad for one of them.  For a rental, our farm is deep enough that we can come up with the best package without including those guys.  I think a top starter in that vein provides about 2 wins of value for the rest of the season.  We're currently tied with TB, but we're about 3 wins short of the division lead on  most projection sites.  Adding 2 wins to our ROS projections gives us a huge boost to our division lead chances and gives us a really good chance to get a first round bye.  And this doesn't even consider the playoff implications of adding a top-shelf starter to your rotation.

Edited by Hallas

Realistic best case scenario is we land a quality SP that’s a clear improvement upon our current crop and reliable late-inning RP to pair with Bautista/Cano/Coulombe (both preferably LHP), without trading any top 100 prospects, including Ortiz and Basallo. Ortiz and Basallo may not fit into our future teams and could be viewed as expendable or trade targets for selling teams, but they are too valuable to give up for rentals. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

Getting a package deal of Snell/Hader from the selling (in this scenario) Padres.

I really think this is the way to go, but they probably want pitching in return. It looks like they could upgrade at 1B and C too.

Maybe Hall, mountcastle, Rom, and Bright get it done?

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I really think this is the way to go, but they probably want pitching in return. It looks like they could upgrade at 1B and C too.

I appreciate the attempt, but strongly disagree that the package you presented would be able to get the Padres to bite.

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Is Ohtani not realistic?

Then Montgomery/Snell/someone of that ilk.  I am ok trading 2 prospects not named Mayo Holliday or Kjerstad for one of them.  For a rental, our farm is deep enough that we can come up with the best package without including those guys.  I think a top starter in that vein provides about 2 wins of value for the rest of the season.  We're currently tied with TB, but we're about 3 wins short of the division lead on  most projection sites.  Adding 2 wins to our ROS projections gives us a huge boost to our division lead chances and gives us a really good chance to get a first round bye.  And this doesn't even consider the playoff implications of adding a top-shelf starter to your rotation.

You would trade Cowser and Ortiz for a rental??

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You would trade Cowser and Ortiz for a rental??

I'm under the assumption that Cowser and Westburg graduated or will shortly, so they aren't included.  Ortiz, sure.  I look at the Machado trade and I think that Ortiz is probably similar to Diaz was at the time in terms of prospect grade.  I hope that Elias guesses correctly regarding which ones pan out and which ones don't?  if we're acquiring someone that's worth 2 wins rest of season I expect that we'll have to pay dearly for it.

I like the concept of a trade with SD for Snell and Hader but agree that SD will likely be buyers at the deadline. So, if we are making one big trade I'd try and get Jordan Montgomery, Jack Flaherty and Jordan Hicks from STL. I would give up a reasonable package for that rental trio that does not include Gunnar, Holiday, Mayo, Grayson and Adley. 

Rotation: Wells, Bradish, Montgomery, Kremer, Flaherty, Grayson

Allows Gibson and Irwin to be bulk relievers. Allows Wells and Rodriguez to not exceed innings limits.

Bullpen: The Mountain,Cano, Hicks, Irwin, Gibson, Perez, Fuji

That top 3 in the rotation is formidable in a playoff series. With the other 3 starters you ride the hot hand. The bullpen has 5 power arms with two guys (maybe 3 if you include Cano) who can close. 

Edited by Jim'sKid26

Based on what happened yesterday, I am hopeful that Elias works something out that not only isn't incredibly expensive prospect wise, but is outside the box we have been thinking.

Now, I also don't want to see us spend for Ohtani...but it is very hard not to think about it.

Edited by foxfield

45 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I'm under the assumption that Cowser and Westburg graduated or will shortly, so they aren't included.  Ortiz, sure.  I look at the Machado trade and I think that Ortiz is probably similar to Diaz was at the time in terms of prospect grade.  I hope that Elias guesses correctly regarding which ones pan out and which ones don't?  if we're acquiring someone that's worth 2 wins rest of season I expect that we'll have to pay dearly for it.

Cowser is still a prospect.  

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Why? Why would you overpay for a RP (Hader) who's a closer when you already have one of the best in the game? The can get a similar RP, who's not a closer, for a fraction of the cost. 

5 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Why? Why would you overpay for a RP (Hader) who's a closer when you already have one of the best in the game? The can get a similar RP, who's not a closer, for a fraction of the cost. 

Hader's a beast, a Left handed beast. Who cares that he's a closer. He's going to cost more than the next pitcher bc he's better than the next pitcher. I'm okay with a Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez type trade here. Especially if it helps us get to the World Series

9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Hader's a beast, a Left handed beast. Who cares that he's a closer. He's going to cost more than the next pitcher bc he's better than the next pitcher. I'm okay with a Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez type trade here. Especially if it helps us get to the World Series

I care, because closers cost more. Teams looking to deal RPs will often slot them into the closer role, prior to trading them, because it inflates their value. It's an unnecessary mark up for team that already has the best closer in the game. There are PLENTY of RPs out there who are just as good as Hader who aren't closers. 

• Upvote 1