Orioles and the Rays for the Division. A third factor favoring the Rays.

2001OriolesFan

One nice thing about playing in a dome is that half your games are not going to be rained out so you get and keep the regular breaks in the schedule. You don't burn out starting and relief pitching. You don’t burn out you catchers who have to squat and throw every pitch back to the pitcher. The Orioles have played 4 less games than the Rays- maybe people don’t think that is much of a factor and I strongly disagree. If you go through the current schedules for the rest of the year, then you have the following sequences of games. The first number is the number of games in a row.  In all cases for the rest of the year, there is ONE day off between series of  back-to-back-to-back.... games

For the Orioles it is:     7,,,,10,,,,9,,,,3,,,,9,,,,6,,,,17,,,,6

For the Rays it is:         4….3….6...3...9….3...6...2...15...6...2...3

Listing the consequitive game strings from longest to shortest:

Orioles ……….17,,,10,,,,9,,,,9,,,,7,,,,6,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rays…………..15…..........9.................6...6...6...4...3...3...3...2...2..

The Orioles have ONE series with less than a 6 games in a row

The Rays hae SIX series with less than 6 games in a row.

Who is going to be sucking wind at the end of the year?

Who is going to build up more injuries that don't have a chance to heal?

I have appreciated how Hyde has been juggling things to try to give everybody rest and recovery but a lot of our posters have been ignoring this. I worry that we may begin to fade in mid August.  Might we see "unready" prospects promoted to take up the slack?

21 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

One nice thing about playing in a dome is that half your games are not going to be rained out so you get and keep the regular breaks in the schedule. You don't burn out starting and relief pitching. You don’t burn out you catchers who have to squat and throw every pitch back to the pitcher. The Orioles have played 4 less games than the Rays- maybe people don’t think that is much of a factor and I strongly disagree. If you go through the current schedules for the rest of the year, then you have the following sequences of games. The first number is the number of games in a row.  In all cases for the rest of the year, there is ONE day off between series of  back-to-back-to-back.... games

For the Orioles it is:     7,,,,10,,,,9,,,,3,,,,9,,,,6,,,,17,,,,6

For the Rays it is:         4….3….6...3...9….3...6...2...15...6...2...3

Listing the consequitive game strings from longest to shortest:

Orioles ……….17,,,10,,,,9,,,,9,,,,7,,,,6,,,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rays…………..15…..........9.................6...6...6...4...3...3...3...2...2..

The Orioles have ONE series with less than a 6 games in a row

The Rays hae SIX series with less than 6 games in a row.

Who is going to be sucking wind at the end of the year?

Who is going to build up more injuries that don't have a chance to heal?

I have appreciated how Hyde has been juggling things to try to give everybody rest and recovery but a lot of our posters have been ignoring this. I worry that we may begin to fade in mid August.  Might we see "unready" prospects promoted to take up the slack?

Sure, no question it is a concern.  But frankly, this is what being one of the best teams in baseball entails.  The season is a marathon and the Orioles are not only one of the best teams in baseball, they are one of the youngest and also one of the deepest.  

There is rest within these series for everyone and that is something that Hyde will need to manage.  But on the grand scale of things that worry me, this isn't a factor.  This is what we have been waiting for...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Sure, no question it is a concern.  But frankly, this is what being one of the best teams in blbaseball entails.  The season is a marathon and the Orioles are not only one of the best teams in baseball, they are one of the youngest and also one of the deepest.  

There is rest within these series for everyone and that is something that Hyde will need to manage.  But on the grand scale of things that worry me, this isn't a factor.  This is what we have been waiting for...

Heh?   This has nothing to do with our W/L record.  We will be playing a LOT of strings of back to bak games for a week and two weeks and more. Maybe you haven' noticed that we really have 4 starting pitchers and  MAYBE two reliable middle inning relievers. Not enough to juggle over 14 straight days.   Position players, yes we have depth but a good deal of that depth is prospects.

17 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Heh?   This has nothing to do with our W/L record.  We will be playing a LOT of strings of back to bak games for a week and two weeks and more. Maybe you haven' noticed that we really have 4 starting pitchers and  MAYBE two reliable middle inning relievers. Not enough to juggle over 14 straight days.   Position players, yes we have depth but a good deal of that depth is prospects.

I don't follow every team but I don't see anyone with overwhelming pitching depth.  

2 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I don't follow every team but I don't see anyone with overwhelming pitching depth.  

That is exactly what the problem is.  The Rays will have six short series of 4 games in a row or less. That gives them the chance to give a rotation of 4 good starters at least 4 days rest between starts. (likewise for relievers).  If you play a 17 game straight stretch, your 4 starters are pitching on 3 days rest for FOUR such cycles.  With both teams having similar depth, it puts us at a disadvantage.

I don't see this as a likely problem with our position players.

It does magnify the importance of SP performance (including length of starts) depth and of adding bullpen depth (whether from inside or acquisitions). No way to measure it that I know, but it could be worth a game or two.

Edited by spiritof66
  • Upvote 1

The only guess I have about why Tampa is scheduled fewer off days early on and more in late summer/early fall might be because they want to have a better chance at scheduling any needed make-ups due to hurricane season.  No idea if that as anything to do with it, but it would make a little bit of sense.

11 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

That is exactly what the problem is.  The Rays will have six short series of 4 games in a row or less. That gives them the chance to give a rotation of 4 good starters at least 4 days rest between starts. (likewise for relievers).  If you play a 17 game straight stretch, your 4 starters are pitching on 3 days rest for FOUR such cycles.  With both teams having similar depth, it puts us at a disadvantage.

We may have 5 competitive pitchers.  We're going to find out.