Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think it’s out of the question but I can definitely see players and their families not wanting to come to Baltimore.

This is going to be a regrettable trade if it happens.

I think it depends on what we give up, I don't think Elias will over spend on him in prospects.  I don't care what his monetary cost is, crowds are back, time for PA to start opening up his bank account. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The Mets got a top 50 guy for Scherzer. They want more for Verlander because he is throwing the ball better.

They will pay down the deal to get the top flight prospects.

You guys are ok with Mayo or Kjerstad+ for Verlander?

No way.  Sure, I'd take Verlander IF the deal is light on the prospects we give up.  But no way should a Mayo or Kjerstad type be included in the trade.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The Mets got a top 50 guy for Scherzer. They want more for Verlander because he is throwing the ball better.

No freaking way.   The only way one of those guys should be dealt is if we're receiving a young, controllable starter. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

God no. I’m not trading anyone on the active roster (out of the young guys), HK, Mayo, Ortiz, Holliday or Basallo.

Why people want to give these highly rated guys up for these guys is beyond me. They just aren’t that good.

Right now, neither is Tyler Wells.  Would you be more comfortable with Verlander or Irvin as our 5th starter?  

I hate the thought of giving up high-end prospects, too, but at some point we might look for lightning in  bottle from someone who might just benefit from a change in scenery.  Sometimes, guys get a second wind and want to prove themselves worthy all over again, especially when there are so many doubters.   

I would cringe, however, at what we'd have to give up, unless we just take on a lot of salary to keep from giving up our best prospects.  But I don't see that happening either.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why?  

Is this some not-so-thinly veiled shot at the safety of the city?  Or is it just not cosmopolitan enough for Kate Upton?

There are at least 10 pages of this argument. The gist is some people think that the city isn’t safe/corrupt and or not rich enough. Others argue he has lived in Houston and Detroit so how bad can it be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all of it 

It's easy to take shots at the city, but you and I both know that it's not like any ballplayer or their families are going to be living in any proximity to Omar, Bodie and Wallace.  

And while Baltimore isn't cosmopolitan, it's a short trip to NYC where Kate probably needs to spend a fair amount of time anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Right now, neither is Tyler Wells.  Would you be more comfortable with Verlander or Irvin as our 5th starter?  

I hate the thought of giving up high-end prospects, too, but at some point we might look for lightning in  bottle from someone who might just benefit from a change in scenery.  Sometimes, guys get a second wind and want to prove themselves worthy all over again, especially when there are so many doubters.   

I would cringe, however, at what we'd have to give up, unless we just take on a lot of salary to keep from giving up our best prospects.  But I don't see that happening either.

There is a middle ground between Wells and giving up your best guys for a declining, old expensive pitcher.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am not.   

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Maybe I'm crazy but I think the bigger issue would be prospect cost versus money. Mets will eat a fair amount of the money if the prospect haul is worth it. Ideally they'd meet in the middle and not move anyone higher than Norby, and take on the needed salary to get that deal done? I don't think Norby would be the only piece of course but I'd hope that he'd be the top piece, but that may be just as unrealistic as these Mets fans predicting Holliday + Kjerstad + Mayo coming back for all I know.

If that's the case, then I think that we are in the strongest position.

I wanted the O's to give Verlander a 2 year deal in the offseason. Reason being short term contracts minimize risk, we had one of the lowest payrolls and the time of his being paid would conflict with any of our young cornerstones contracts/needing to be extended, plus the invaluable veteran experience that he could share with young guys like Grayson and Bradish.

I know that I have made the point before but I am willing to part with some of our middle infield prospect surplus (not named Henderson or Holliday). Not all of them can play here but all of them should carry good value.

If we have/had to live with a scenario where Ortiz/Westburg hold and INF spot for the rest of the year along with Gunnar and say some sort of platoon of Frazier and Urias, I am good with that. We have a hole in our starting staff and for that matter our bullpen as well.

I believe that we can plug that hole with good players AND STILL retain our ability to have a great future (not surrender our future cornerstone players).

Now I don't want to give up either Kjerstad or Mayo. If we had to say surrender one, a scenario exists where we could resign/extend extend Santander for a say 3 year contract and still be well positioned to do well for the longer term.