Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Hopefully this is the case across the board with potential buyers and prices come down over the next few hours.

Do you feel that prices have been up? I struggle to find any deals where I thought, "that was a big overpay". It's possible I missed 1 or 2. But nothing really jumps out at me.

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Another thing not being mentioned re: Verlander is that the Mets haven't played the Orioles this year.  He hasn't had the opportunity to actually see the team in person and draw his own conclusions regarding how competitive they are.  Of course, he has access to lots of opinions, but it seems many players and teams are more impressed after they have seen the Orioles in person.  

He's scheduled to pitch against us next Saturday. Too late by then... perhaps he will be pitching for us.. 

Edited by Fan4Life

2 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

What will drive the cost up for us potentially is the competition. Is Houston and LAD in good shape currently after their moves to make it more difficult for us?

Rosenthal indicated Houston is the favorite/Verlander's preferred destination, and it's been reported that they've made an offer. He also reported the Dodgers were discouraged with their chances.

Feels like Houston is the team to beat and if Verlander is set on going there, I don't know that there's much that can be done. Not sure why he would do the Mets any favors by picking the strongest trade proposal as opposed to the team he'd rather play for.

Beside guys that are cost-controlled like guys from Pittsburgh or Seattle, most of the remaining pitchers are basically the same.  I can't say that Verlander will be better than E-Rod or vice-versa.  The same can be said of guys like Lorenzen.  Orioles should just take who is left.  They need guys to eat innings in the starting rotation.  Same can be said about the relievers being basically the same since it doesn't look like Hader is available.  Don't overpay.  

3 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

What will drive the cost up for us potentially is the competition. Is Houston and LAD in good shape currently after their moves to make it more difficult for us?

What prospects does HOU have though? Even when you squint your eyes and go through their farm system with a fine tooth comb, there's not much there. I guess they would be willing to eat all of the remaining money on the deal?

I imagine because the Mets have an endless supply of Cohen's money, they would be more interested in trading with the Dodgers/Orioles who are loaded with prospects.

Just now, Brian88 said:

Could Verlander be convinced to come here if John Angelos tells him his plans to move the team to Nashville? 

He isn't a fan of country music and the rumors that Kate is going to launch a country music career are completely inaccurate.  She was a washout at a karaoke bar in NYC recently and is a terrible dancer.  

• Haha 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Who do we remove from our pen to add a traded for reliever?  That’s the problem for Elias. How do we get to the extra pitcher in September?

Bautista, Cano, Columbe, Baker, Baumann, Fuji, Perez, long man

Baker goes down.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Who do we remove from our pen to add a traded for reliever?  That’s the problem for Elias. How do we get to the extra pitcher in September?

Bautista, Cano, Columbe, Baker, Baumann, Fuji, Perez, long man

You mean it’s a problem because there’s so many people who could be removed? Irvin, Krehbiel, Perez. Who cares?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Could Verlander be convinced to come here if John Angelos tells him his plans to move the team to Nashville? 

Why would Verlander care about this? The time it would take Angelos to move the team would exceed Verlander's window as a Major League ballplayer.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you feel that prices have been up? I struggle to find any deals where I thought, "that was a big overpay". It's possible I missed 1 or 2. But nothing really jumps out at me.

I'm not at all comfortable judging other team's prospects; I really have no idea how the market has played out thus far. Top 100 lists fluctuate all the time. I just know the O's prospects I'm excited for versus the ones who may still be good but seem like they're probably blocked by guys ahead of them.