Kevin Brown

Srey

I lived in the Philippines for 10 years, met my wife over there, most all the locals eat balut and challenged me to try but I just could not get past looking at the beak, feathers and feet. They say it tastes like a boiled egg but the beak and all no thanks, I dont even like oysters.

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

That would be the polite way to describe it. Oddly enough, I thought Brown had kept the awkward non-baseball chatter to a minimum so far this year. 

He was mocking BM. It wasn’t amusing or cute. His cultural references often seem forced, but his needling was arrogant and pompous. 

I switched broadcasts. 

Get a grip, he absolutely was not mocking him. Was it awkward? Sure. Was it not great tv? Sure. KB was being himself and Ben was being himself, that’s what you get sometimes.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:31 PM, survivedc said:

Get a grip, he absolutely was not mocking him. Was it awkward? Sure. Was it not great tv? Sure. KB was being himself and Ben was being himself, that’s what you get sometimes.

I agree Brown was being himself.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, Frobby said:

I’ve had garrobo (iguana) stew down in Nicaragua once or twice.   Also, gator bits down in Florida.  It’s all palatable if you deep fry it or douse it in a tangy sauce.   “Tastes like chicken.”

Did you catch any baseball games while down in Nica?  It’s my favorite place to go in winter.  Mostly for the surfing, but I love how it’s baseball obsessed.  Always go to a couple games while there.  

“The Os have turned Isaiah Campbell into soup.”

I’ve got a toddler and another on the way but this was the moment I realized I’m officially a dad and actually legitimately laugh at dad jokes now. 

Edited by ThisIsBirdland
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I’ve got a toddler and another on the way but this was the moment I realized I’m officially a dad and actually legitimately laugh at dad jokes now. 

Usually meh on Kevin but he was on a roll tonight. 

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

It's not legit until you still start laughing at the ones you make while nobody else does.

Ben McDonald has a lot of patience. When Kevin Brown brings up a Vogue cover wedding and starts asking if Ben has been skiing at Boushy Colorado resorts he is humored with a couple answers followed by 'I went skiing at big sky in Montana recently'.  To which KB replies 'that is a different state'. No, kidding Kevin... Why don't you just tell us about how high class you are instead of implying other people are ignorant. He probably doesn't even realize that real skiiers are going to go to Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Alaska. People who care about Vogue covers go to the poser Colorado resorts.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, OsBeavs said:

Ben McDonald has a lot of patience. When Kevin Brown brings up a Vogue cover wedding and starts asking if Ben has been skiing at Boushy Colorado resorts he is humored with a couple answers followed by 'I went skiing at big sky in Montana recently'.  To which KB replies 'that is a different state'. No, kidding Kevin... Why don't you just tell us about how high class you are instead of implying other people are ignorant. He probably doesn't even realize that real skiiers are going to go to Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Alaska. People who care about Vogue covers go to the poser Colorado resorts.

I have a lot of coworkers I've worked with for years that I mess with subtly all the time. And they know I'm just f'ing with them. Later, they'll do the same to me. I think that's more of a sign of being tight than some massive disconnect. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

I have a lot of coworkers I've worked with for years that I mess with subtly all the time. And they know I'm just f'ing with them. Later, they'll do the same to me. I think that's more of a sign of being tight than some massive disconnect. 

Maybe so, and it's in good fun with Ben. I like the dynamic Ben M. has with Eduardo Perez in the college world series coverage. They seem to get each other and be on the same page.

Ben’s a gem. He can take the occasional comment that might go too far or might be too deep in the weeds and still play it off, even if he’s smiling through an eye roll. Dude has hardly any ego at all as far as I can tell.

But give me Kevin’s shtick any day of the week. He’s genuinely having fun and if he misses on 1/5 or 1/10 of his swings as a broadcaster, that’s fine by me. I much prefer a little bit of a playful edge, and the reason I think it works so well is he, Ben and Palmer all seem to genuinely enjoy each other.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, OsBeavs said:

Maybe so, and it's in good fun with Ben. I like the dynamic Ben M. has with Eduardo Perez in the college world series coverage. They seem to get each other and be on the same page.

You're not wrong that in-booth chemistry is real, and it doesn't take working together everyday to have that. I just know that, when you spend every day with a dude, you're going to try to get under each other's skin if you actually have a real-world relationship.

45 minutes ago, OsBeavs said:

I didn't hear the exchange, but I've heard enough from Ben McDonald to know that he could cut Kevin Brown pretty deeply in a good ole boy kinda way without breaking a sweat if he wanted to. I don't expect that because McDonald strikes me as a pro, but maybe KB should understand that goodnatured ribbing in front of others might not be appreciated by the recipient in the way it was intended and adjust his sense of humor accordingly.  A lot of people have been put in that position and have a great deal of residual resentment from the experience.  Why would a broadcaster ever want to go there?

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I didn't hear the exchange, but I've heard enough from Ben McDonald to know that he could cut Kevin Brown pretty deeply in a good ole boy kinda way without breaking a sweat if he wanted to. I don't expect that because McDonald strikes me as a pro, but maybe KB should understand that goodnatured ribbing in front of others might not be appreciated by the recipient in the way it was intended and adjust his sense of humor accordingly.  A lot of people have been put in that position and have a great deal of residual resentment from the experience.  Why would a broadcaster ever want to go there?

I didn't take it as anything other than Brown screwing around after reading an article about a place he'd never been to; in the same vein he was teasing Big Ben about not having heard of the fashion designer mentioned in the article before admitting that he had never heard of him either.

Tonight’s exchange was a complete nothing burger in my opinion.  It came up because the pitcher on the mound had a wedding at some fancy ski resort and the wedding was covered by Vogue.  It’s not like Brown just brought up fancy ski resort weddings for no reason.  

• Upvote 1