Kevin Brown

Srey

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That was borderline insufferable too. 

Trying to figure out how to only block your Kevin Brown related posts, because I pretty much like and agree with most of the rest of your takes. Way off base on KB though and I think you’re just leaning into it at this point. 

LOL. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Just down 2-3 shots before the first inning like Gary would, and see where the night would take you.

I’m at the doctors office for some tests and guffawed when I read this.

God bless Gary Thorne.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Trying to figure out how to only block your Kevin Brown related posts, because I pretty much like and agree with most of the rest of your takes. Way off base on KB though and I think you’re just leaning into it at this point. 

LOL. 

I am leaning into it, a little bit.

Here's the deal, I don't think he's as bad as people think I think he is.  I've said it before, I'll say it again...as far as my favorite TV announcers go, it's Thorne, Mel Proctor, Kevin Brown, Jim Hunter Scott Garceau and Michael Reghi.  

Kevin Brown is right in the middle.  I actually like his voice a little bit.  On a pitch by pitch basis, he's good, though sometimes I don't think he knows the difference between a sinker a cut fastball, but that's whatever.  I don't need the PBP guy to tell me what I'm seeing when it comes to pitch types and I don't care if they miss one from time to time.

It's the constant attempts at being clever, the constant pointing out of trivial trivia ("And Adley Rutschman, the FIRST pick in the 2019 draft grounds out to the SECOND pick in the 2019 draft, Bobby Witt Jr.") that drive me crazy.  The pop culture references.  That sarcastic tone he takes on when he's trying to give Ben McDonald a hard time on something that Ben McDonald has never heard of before (What do YOU MEAN YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF...) ...all those things drive me up a wall.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t get the complaining about random stories and jokes occasionally. It’s complaining just to complain. Listen to a few other local broadcasts on MLB TV. They all have a similar dynamic and all have silly sidetracks, from the PBP guy and a sideline reporter. Nothing unusual. And Kevin and Ben are far better than most, though there are some good tandems out there. 

Watching other teams play a little also puts the Os in perspective from several angles. All the issues you think the Os have (fifth starter, last guy on the bench, bullpen issues, whatever) I guarantee you fans of every team feel the same way about their team.  

The Rangers guys talk about baseball: history and trivia, and relating it to the current game. It’s really interesting. They also talk sometimes about vocabulary “was that an ‘egregious’ call?” And it’s very funny. The oriole guys would be lost in such a discussion. The banter needs to be natural but also pertinent. The orioles guys aren’t very good. I agree with Moose(or he agrees with me because I was down on KB from day 1) but we can live with them. I just wish they’d evaluate themselves better and make adjustments.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Jeez, tough crowd.  I guess we’ll bring back Jim Hunter and his “modest three game hit streak.”   

Get it right, it's a modest two game hitting streak, Froberto Duran.

And nowhere did I say I'd prefer Jim Hunter over Kevin Brown.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Get it right, it's a modest two game hitting streak, Froberto Duran.

And nowhere did I say I'd prefer Jim Hunter over Kevin Brown.  

I’m just reminding you there are worse alternatives.  Everything you’ve said about Brown is fair enough, though I happen to like things like the Rutschman grounder to Witt observation.

What I want in a TV PBP guy is:

1.  A good voice.  

2.  The ability to convey that the game is interesting, even when it’s not.  

3.  A good rapport with the color guy and the ability to use questions to get the color guy to use their expert knowledge of the game  and convey it to the audience.

4.  Knowing when it’s appropriate to get a little excited.  

5.  Being well prepared and knowing stuff about both teams that most viewers don’t, and inserting that information at opportune times.  

I score Brown very high on all five criteria.  Puns and cultural references, or the lack of them, aren’t on my list of what’s important.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just reminding you there are worse alternatives.  Everything you’ve said about Brown is fair enough, though I happen to like things like the Rutschman grounder to Witt observation.

What I want in a TV PBP guy is:

1.  A good voice.  

2.  The ability to convey that the game is interesting, even when it’s not.  

3.  A good rapport with the color guy and the ability to use questions to get the color guy to use their expert knowledge of the game  and convey it to the audience.

4.  Knowing when it’s appropriate to get a little excited.  

5.  Being well prepared and knowing stuff about both teams that most viewers don’t, and inserting that information at opportune times.  

I score Brown very high on all five criteria.  Puns and cultural references, or the lack of them, aren’t on my list of what’s important.  

That's fair, and he does do those things well.  We can agree to disagree that the other stuff that we happen to disagree about gets in the way.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

And here I was thinking his Hays-Holliday-Henderson Triple H mention was the moment of the night.

I enjoyed the green fry dip exchange.  Ben, the true red-blooded country Cajun, wanted nothing to do with the green fry dip.  KB is the chirpa of culinary progress!

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am leaning into it, a little bit.

Here's the deal, I don't think he's as bad as people think I think he is.  I've said it before, I'll say it again...as far as my favorite TV announcers go, it's Thorne, Mel Proctor, Kevin Brown, Jim Hunter Scott Garceau and Michael Reghi.  

Kevin Brown is right in the middle.  I actually like his voice a little bit.  On a pitch by pitch basis, he's good, though sometimes I don't think he knows the difference between a sinker a cut fastball, but that's whatever.  I don't need the PBP guy to tell me what I'm seeing when it comes to pitch types and I don't care if they miss one from time to time.

It's the constant attempts at being clever, the constant pointing out of trivial trivia ("And Adley Rutschman, the FIRST pick in the 2019 draft grounds out to the SECOND pick in the 2019 draft, Bobby Witt Jr.") that drive me crazy.  The pop culture references.  That sarcastic tone he takes on when he's trying to give Ben McDonald a hard time on something that Ben McDonald has never heard of before (What do YOU MEAN YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF...) ...all those things drive me up a wall.

Brown isn’t my favorite, but Gary Thorne isn’t walking through that door. Plus, I identify the recent winning with Kevin Brown’s voice. I just wish he wouldn’t have pulled his martyr stunt last year. Everyone has to listen to their boss. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Brown isn’t my favorite, but Gary Thorne isn’t walking through that door. Plus, I identify the recent winning with Kevin Brown’s voice. I just wish he wouldn’t have pulled his martyr stunt last year. Everyone has to listen to their boss. 

What does this mean?

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I gotta give him credit, he handled that like an ace. I don’t think he did anything wrong in that situation. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

The Rangers guys talk about baseball: history and trivia, and relating it to the current game. It’s really interesting. They also talk sometimes about vocabulary “was that an ‘egregious’ call?” And it’s very funny. The oriole guys would be lost in such a discussion. The banter needs to be natural but also pertinent. The orioles guys aren’t very good. I agree with Moose(or he agrees with me because I was down on KB from day 1) but we can live with them. I just wish they’d evaluate themselves better and make adjustments.

I live in the SF Giants market.   Their broadcasting crew (Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow, John Miller)  is very easy to listen to.  They have very interesting banter with a very dry humor.   They know the game well.   I like when they find things or people of interest in the crowd and discuss between pitches/ action.   They have worked with each other for so long and know each other so well that the chemistry is smooth.   They are a top notch crew. 

• Upvote 1