Cano out of Set Up Roll?

ScGO's

He had a rough July. I wonder if its time to put Cano in some lower leverage situations for awhile. I think he could be just a few outings away from finding it again, but he's looked very human this month.

Who do we put out there next? Probably someone we trade for.

If not. Could be Fuji, Baker, or Baumann? Baumann and Baker (surprisingly) have sub 2.00 ERAs in July. Fuji has looked nasty at times. Really missing Dillon Tate right now. Maybe DL Hall can fill the role

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

Shouldn’t have used Cano last night with a 9-3 lead. We’ve gone to the Cano well too often.  

And now Bautista won't be available tomorrow because he had to throw 35 pitches to pick up Cano.  We need another quality arm.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Shouldn’t have used Cano last night with a 9-3 lead. We’ve gone to the Cano well too often.  

Yeah, this.  Or let Fuji throw two innings.  Best record, yeah, yeah, it's awesome... but I still don't love some of the bullpen management.

Just now, Ripken said:

Yeah, this.  Or let Fuji throw two innings.  Best record, yeah, yeah, it's awesome... but I still don't love some of the bullpen management.

It’s mostly been a function of guys being unreliable.    If Baker, Perez and Akin had been remotely as consistent as last year, we wouldn’t have overused Cano.  But, he’s been overused and it’s showing.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s mostly been a function of guys being unreliable.    If Baker, Perez and Akin had been remotely as consistent as last year, we wouldn’t have overused Cano.  But, he’s been overused and it’s showing.  

True, though I still think there were some chances for reduced usage here and there.  Tate and Givens missing have really hurt.  Fuji was a nice get.  Sure hope Elias adds more.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't understand that move either but he started to struggle long before that. Using him in lower leverage makes sense but then don't bring him back in high leverage the next day. However, I am not sure who else we trust there. I would be in favor of more.of a committee approach for the 7th-8th.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree completely. I think Hyde wanted to get him some lower leverage work but man, the dude’s arm is going to fall off at some point.

I’m genuinely concerned about Cano. He’s overworked and he’s been hit hard a lot recently. No one expected him to continue his April success but the exit velos the last month+ are alarming.