Jordan Westburg 2023

interloper

Figured I'd start this thread for any catch-all Westburg commentary. 

As of 8/2/23:

80 AB
.263/.314/.413/.727 (102 OPS+)
1 HR, 5 2B, 2 3B
5 BB/22 K
2-3 in SB
0.7 rWAR

A surprising 93rd percentile in sprint speed. 

Overall, I really like what I've seen. He's just been solid out there. He's made a lot of great defensive plays and he hits the ball hard. Lot of line drives. Doesn't look like he's trying to do too much, and therefore he's been an above-average part-time player. While we haven't seen the home run pop yet, he's done a good job of staying above water and collecting other XBH. Love those 2 triples. And he's faster than I thought. 

Edited by interloper

and he just bumped up his max EV last night into the 55th percentile range.

I love Westburg's vibe, like he just loves playing baseball.  It feels like he was the kid who just rolled up to legion ball with his glove and cleats - forgoing the bat bag that every kid has today.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not going to happen with Frazier and Urias in the mix.

Yeah. And that's fine for now, IMO. Frazier brings his thing, Urias brings his thing. Westburg isn't buried on the bench and he's not a full-on starter. I think that's a good middle ground right now, and he's succeeding in that role. 

The active roster is stupid deep, with exception of CF right now.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah. And that's fine for now, IMO. Frazier brings his thing, Urias brings his thing. Westburg isn't buried on the bench and he's not a full-on starter. I think that's a good middle ground right now, and he's succeeding in that role. 

The active roster is stupid deep, with exception of CF right now.

That's why we're no fluke.  We have a deep 26 man roster, and our depth in AAA is top notch position player wise.  I expect Elias will add some pitching depth next year.  

Westburg will get more time in the rotation next year.  We're winning right now and Frazier is earning with the bat, and Urias is a GG level defender at two positions.  This is a great opportunity for Westburg to get his feet wet.  

The 22/5 K/BB ratio is concerning.  We've seen the same with Stowers, Ortiz, and Cowser.  The relievers at the MLB level are just so darn good.  

Ever since the summer of last season I started paying attention to him in AAA. And in that time I knew he had some excellent power thanks to a few games where he hit 2 home runs inside those games. (Which reminded me of how often Mark McGuire used to do that.) That and his consistency was enough to make me a fan of his and get me excited about his impending arrival.

I think he's at least a 25+ home run guy. With potential to join the 30/30 Club.

Now that he's here, I am pleasantly surprised to see how excellent of a fielder he is and how fast of a runner he is on top of that.

I think he could become one of our cornerstone pieces for a World Series team. Coincidentally, during his 1st game in the Big Leagues during his Major League debut, I was watching him on the TV and I got daydreaming visions of him hoisting a World Series trophy in an Orioles uniform.

Maybe that sounds like Hyporbole to some, but I believe it.

I really really like this guy!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

He's more talented than both Frazier and Urias. Hope he starts playing every day soon. Platooning Westburg is bad management by both Elias and Hyde. But they've gotten away with it because this team is so talented.

DFA Mateo already, and start getting Westburg in the lineup as much as possible.

Westburg has been on the team for 33 games.  He’s started 22 (team is 13-9 in those games), played in 27 (15-12).   The team is 7-4 when he doesn’t start, 5-1 when he doesn’t play.  

I’m fine with how he, Frazier and Urias are being used.  Everyone’s getting plenty of reps, but everyone is being kept fresh.   If we had to play one of them every single game, I’d choose Westburg.  But we don’t need to do that, and shouldn’t.  Our guys are going to have fresh legs in the stretch run.  

Mateo is a whole other story, but if he were gone, I’d want Ortiz to be getting all of his playing time anyway, which wouldn’t affect Westburg.  

• Upvote 1