Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

Obtained minutes before the trade deadline Tuesday, right-hander Jack Flaherty is making his first Baltimore start Thursday afternoon (right now) as his new team tries to clinch the four-game series.

He throws a four seam fastball, sinker, curveball, slider, and changeup.

image.png.b9a84ba67b9c77c314f8e7ed4d8e769f.png

image.png.71344cc3562ae59aa21953bc11af4896.png

Through the first 5 innings he allowed 1 hit (his first batter faced), 1 BB (his second batter...*gulp*) and struck out 7 on just 58 pitches while retired 15 straight. Seemed he was in such a groove the Jays dropped a bunt down the first base line to shake him up a little. 

In the 6th, however, he gave up two consecutive singles, a line out, then another single (scoring one) followed by a walk to load the bases with one down. Needing outs, he struck out Chapman (swinging) on 5 pitches (all pretty well located down and away) and got Kirk to fly out.

His final line would be 

6.0 IP
4 H
1 R
1 ER
2 BB
8 Ks
1.52 WHIP

92 pitches, 61 strikes with 5 hard hit balls.

Edited by AdamK
Added final line
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I was hoping he would go 7 or 8 after the first 5. But he looked really good. For someone who people were calling a "former ace" who doesn't have his stuff anymore, I wasn't expecting him to pump 97.

He was cruising for sure. 

Looking into his innings splits shows he's made it to the 7th 5 times this season. He'll fit right in here. 

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Missed a ton of bats. 

As someone who felt this was a good acquisition and better than most of what they could have done, I’m not surprised.

That said, he will control issues at times, so let’s not get completely ahead of ourselves.

But he is going to have a SSS of starts with us, so one start down at this level is great to see. That’s what you paid for.

His fastball velo is worth keeping an eye on.  Today it was elevated - 94.1.  And lo and behold, he pitched great.

If the O's can find a way to keep it on the high side then this is going to work out great.  The O's don't really have a problem pulling pitchers after 5 or 6 anyway, so if he runs out of gas after 5 or 6, well, Irvin can pitch a couple innings and we still have our bullpen.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

His fastball velo is worth keeping an eye on.  Today it was elevated - 94.1.  And lo and behold, he pitched great.

If the O's can find a way to keep it on the high side then this is going to work out great.  The O's don't really have a problem pulling pitchers after 5 or 6 anyway, so if he runs out of gas after 5 or 6, well, Irvin can pitch a couple innings and we still have our bullpen.

Yup - he struggled a bit in the 6th inning but pitched out of it, and that's what the Orioles need, the way they've used their bullpen this season.  Hardly anybody goes past 7 innings even if they're pitching lights out.

Flaherty's first game, on the road against a division opponent, is a success.  Gave them everything they asked for.

Edited by 25 Nuggets

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Forgive me feeling a bit more thrilled.than many on this post...Jack is a family friend who went to the same school as my son, they remain friends... and he along with Lucas Giolito, and before that Max Fried, we had an awesome high school team..HARVARD WESTLAKE Wolverines!!! This was just what we needed.... and for my family, personally, it was a thrill for us to watch...If Jack can pitch consistently like this, I really think this team might have a shot at going deep in the playoffs...and if, somehow, Wells returns, Means returns and can give us anything decent..plus maybe D.L. Hall...look out,,

Forgive me in kind if I sound like a nosy reporter - but is there a decent chance Flaherty wants to stick around past this season?