Enrique Bradfield 2023

Jagwar

I just want him to get to a reasonable league for his experience level. He was a three-year starter in the toughest conference in college baseball, he should be in high-A already with the hopes of starting next season in AA.

Matt Shaw, Tommy Troy, Kyle Teel, Wyatt Langford, Jacob Wilson, and Brock Wilken are all in high-A. Nolan Schanuel is in AA.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, let’s be realistic about what’s “acceptable.” There have been 58 no. 17 picks, and only 16 of them have had a 5 WAR career.   So in that context, a Straw/Ruiz outcome would be “acceptable.”   

That said, I’d be disappointed with that outcome.  

Me too.  Being a spoiled O's fan has raised my expectations for acceptable.  The hope is his hit tool is better than Mateo's to allow his speed to play.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I just want him to get to a reasonable league for his experience level. He was a three-year starter in the toughest conference in college baseball, he should be in high-A already with the hopes of starting next season in AA.

Matt Shaw, Tommy Troy, Kyle Teel, Wyatt Langford, Jacob Wilson, and Brock Wilken are all in high-A. Nolan Schanuel is in AA.

It’s terrible how the Orioles mismanage their minor league players.  Just about every high college pick they’ve had spent some time at Delmarva and they seem to have done just fine.  Chill out.

7 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Way better hit tool or at least way better plate discipline.  Hamilton never walked which Bradfield if he plays regularly will walk close to 100 times a year.  I think he will be closer to the Kenny Lofton type mode maybe with little lower average (batting average as a whole is down)  but few more homers.  .260/.350/.420/.770 with 90 walks and 10 homers type.  

Bradfield isnt walking 100 times per year in MLB unless he shows some serious power. Pitchers will throw him strikes and force him to react. Doesn't mean he wont develop into an impact bat, I just dont see him walking 100 or even 75 times per year. Managers wont allow it.

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Bradfield isnt walking 100 times per year in MLB unless he shows some serious power. Pitchers will throw him strikes and force him to react. Doesn't mean he wont develop into an impact bat, I just dont see him walking 100 or even 75 times per year. Managers wont allow it.

This is a total tangent but I often wonder about Rickey Henderson OPSing over .400 for his career despite a batting average less than .300 and only getting over 20 home runs 4 times.  I wonder if he would do that today... were pitchers wary of throwing him too many meatballs, or did his wacky batting stance make it really hard to throw strikes to him?

Edited by Hallas

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

This is a total tangent but I often wonder about Rickey Henderson OPSing over .400 for his career despite a batting average less than .300 and only getting over 20 home runs 4 times.  I wonder if he would do that today... were pitchers wary of throwing him too many meatballs, or did his wacky batting stance make it really hard to throw strikes to him?

Ricky had plenty of power.  No one was going to throw him meatballs.   He also had a tiny strike zone with his crouch. 

Edited by baltfan

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

His career slugging average is .419 that's not toothless (particularly when you see how much it dropped off late in his career).

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His career slugging average is .419 that's not toothless (particularly when you see how much it dropped off late in his career).

For his career, he had below average slugging, ISO, and HR%.  Between 20 and 35, he had a fair number of seasons with less than .100 ISO and/or less than 2% HR rate.  He had power sometimes, and certainly compared to other "prototypical" leadoff hitters he had more than they did, but it was pretty inconsistent.  Maybe that was enough to scare off pitchers?  That era was fairly dead-ball.

Edited by Hallas

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

For his career, he had below average slugging, ISO, and HR%.  Between 20 and 35, he had a fair number of seasons with less than .100 ISO and/or less than 2% HR rate.  He had power sometimes, and certainly compared to other "prototypical" leadoff hitters he had more than they did, but it was pretty inconsistent.  Maybe that was enough to scare off pitchers?  That era was fairly dead-ball.

I think part of it was that fewer players tried to control the strike zone like he did.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

There are plenty of guys that walk 80-100 times a year without serious power.  Ian Happ has 14 homers and 80 walks, J.P. Crawford has 68 walks and 10 homers,  Yandy Diaz had 80 walks last year and 9 homers.  Jesse Winker walked 84 times with 13 homers in 134 games.  If he can hit 10-15 homers a year he can walk 80-100 times a year if he keeps great plate discipline.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

There are plenty of guys that walk 80-100 times a year without serious power.  Ian Happ has 14 homers and 80 walks, J.P. Crawford has 68 walks and 10 homers,  Yandy Diaz had 80 walks last year and 9 homers.  Jesse Winker walked 84 times with 13 homers in 134 games.  If he can hit 10-15 homers a year he can walk 80-100 times a year if he keeps great plate discipline.  

I think its anomalous. If Bradfield can walk 80 times with 10 HR's he'll get major props from me, and probably be a deadly leadoff hitter to boot. I think managers will pitch to him, especially if his power is 5-10 hr, but what do I know. He will play in Camden Yards, he's going to hit a few there.