Does Buck Showalter belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?

Frobby

Does Buck belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Does Buck Showalter belong in the Orioles Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/23 at 16:21

22 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I love what Buck did, but honestly, it was so great because we had such low expectations. If he had a sub .500 record for many other teams, he would be seen as a failure. 

He had a sub-.500 record because they were 58 games below .500 in his final season.  It's not like they were 8 years of mediocre teams.  It was 3 playoff teams, a division winner, and 5 teams in a row that were .500 or better when the franchise hadn't sniffed those finishes and numbers in two decades.

Slight him for other things, but highlighting the .500 overall record isn't an accurate reflection of what he did for the franchise.

Like Sports Guy, it's not even a question for me.

• Upvote 2

I voted no, but would say its a near lock Buck gets in going by past inductees. He was here for roughly 8 seasons and like another poster mentioned, Buck has the 2nd most wins in O's history.

His losing record with O's is one reason I voted no, the other being the Davis contract. The Britton decision never bugged me. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta go with yes.  He didn't do it alone, DD pulled some shrewd moves to get players out of nowhere (Gonzalez, Chen, et cetera).

But IMO, Buck legit took a poor core (at least in the beginning) and got an insane amount of winning out of it.  As far as someone taking the minimum possible, and getting the absolute most out of it... that's where Buck gets in.

I'll bottomline it. We suffered through 14 straight abysmal losing seasons until Buck came along and helped the Orioles first get a WC in 2012 and then win the AL East after 17 years in 2014. I was a grown adult man, who openly wept when we clinched a playoff berth. I don't care about anything else. He's a Baltimore Orioles legend and definitely an Orioles HOFer.

Edited by ledzepp8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I feel like the team quit on him after the Britton thing. 

That’s an incorrect narrative IMO.  The team started out gangbusters the year after the Britton thing, competed well most of the season, and collapsed in September.   The only thing Britton had to do with it is he got hurt and that impacted the bullpen.

• Upvote 2