Hicks and Mullins back this week…what happens with the roster?

Sports Guy

What I'm seeing watching the games, I don't see a kid pressing or down on himself. I think you guys are flinging poop at the wall to try to justify your opinion.

If he was any of those things, you would not see him reacting positively and interacting with his team mates when they do well like he is. He'd be sitting off alone, being down on himself.

He's got guys like Adley And Gunnar there supprting him. Guys who've gone through what he's going through.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..they aren’t risking anything. His batted ball data suggest someone whose stats should be much better. They would still not be good but they would at least look better.

He is averaging 4.77 P/PA, which would easily be leading the league if he qualified. He is definitely up there guessing at times but he’s not swinging at bad pitches for the most part. He is definitely taking too many good pitches, which is the same issue Adley and Gunnar had.

He has hit the ball hard at times and his xBA is much higher than his actual BA. Again, I’m not saying his numbers would be good..we are still probably looking at a 560-600 OPS guy but that still looks way better and I think that would give people more leniency with him because a 420 OPS looks so disgusting.

He has also fit right in with the clubhouse and is already becoming somewhat of a leader. His attitude isn’t changing, so I doubt he is down on himself about the rough start.

Ok .. we disagree.. we shall see what happens and how his OPS looks by October 

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

What I'm seeing watching the games, I don't see a kid pressing or down on himself. I think you guys are flinging poop at the wall to try to justify your opinion.

If he was any of those things, you would not see him reacting positively and interacting with his team mates when they do well like he is. He'd be sitting off alone, being down on himself.

He's got guys like Adley And Gunnar there supprting him. Guys who've gone through what he's going through.

So cheerful on the outside, nice guys can’t be pressing? 

53 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

SG summed it up very well but I've said this in another reply on this board.

We're making the playoffs no matter which of these guys are playing. Let Cowser get through his adjustment period and his potential to contribute in the playoffs is greater than McKenna/Mateo/Hicks. I have zero faith that McKenna or Mateo will contribute anything in the playoffs when we're seeing the best. Hicks, I have a little faith because he's a vet with experience so he might get lucky. All 3 are scrubs and have no business getting playing time on this team.

We are 90% to make the playoffs but barely 50% to win the division. I think these games matter as I would hate to risk elimination in a Wild Card short series. Winning the division would put us in the final 8 and guarantee a real series. That is an advantage worth playing for.

I agree that all are "scrubs" (although I wouldn't put it that way) who should be looking at a bench role. That is all the more reason Hicks is a better candidate than Cowser. Cowser is not in our best 9 or even 10 guys. The one thing we need as long as Mountcastle hits is a guy who can start in OF when O'Hearn is on the bench vs LHP. That is not a good role for Cowser. We already have Frazier as a bench LHB. 

When you have a deep team you either have to play your way into a position, or wait for an incumbent to play themselves out of one. Neither has happened yet. If Hicks is really, really bad when he comes back, then we reconsider.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Guys press all the time..it doesn’t mean their careers are coming to an end or that they can’t develop

Didn’t say his was, at all.  I said I think he would benefit from more playing time in Norfolk to reset a bit at this point.  You disagree, ok .  If he proves me wrong, then fantastic!! But performance is what is needed, not reasons why not. 

If any player gobbles up Cowser's timeshare, I hope its Kjerstad.

What's the use of having an extra polished Top of 1st Round college slugger if you don't test it out?     Though Cowser and Kjerstad are kin to me as guys higher up the draft Elias liked better than the blogosphere, its possible Kjerstad is the one who is just plain better.

If or when Kjerstad has put all the myocarditis stuff to bed (I would say that's 98% done), he is the one who is supposed to have been "ahead" of Cowser.

I agree with others who have observed our scrubs are tournament 1-for-15's waiting to happen.

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Didn’t say his was, at all.  I said I think he would benefit from more playing time in Norfolk to reset a bit at this point.  You disagree, ok .  If he proves me wrong, then fantastic!! But performance is what is needed, not reasons why not. 

Ok but again, many guys aren’t performing or haven’t performed all year and they are still here.

You seem to be on this quest to knock down the young guys while being fine with the vets who aren’t good and have no hope to get better.

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We are 90% to make the playoffs but barely 50% to win the division. I think these games matter as I would hate to risk elimination in a Wild Card short series. Winning the division would put us in the final 8 and guarantee a real series. That is an advantage worth playing for.

Now that our berth is more or less assured, I have been wondering a little for the group that if - for the sake of argument - it is predetermined we will lose in the Elite Eight, would it be better to be a wildcard (then 1-1 in tournament rounds) or division champ (0-1 in tournament rounds)?

Some interesting pros and cons either way.    Of course the 12-team field gives a false surface impression tournament entrants have a 1/12 shot - it is either approximately 1/8 or 1/16 by dice rolls.     

Agree the division is a huge prize and if it is close all the best pitchers should be used in Games 161 and 162 even if you fall short and you have to use down rotation guys the Tuesday to Thursday.      I believe all the opening series run Tuesday to Thursday so unless on short rest the Sunday Game 162 starters are out of the Wild Card short series.     Certainly I hope the team earns Bruce Zimmermann or equivalent the game that day!

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok but again, many guys aren’t performing or haven’t performed all year and they are still here.

You seem to be on this quest to knock down the young guys while being fine with the vets who aren’t good and have no hope to get better.

And you are similarly seeming on a quest against vets who have contributed significantly to this spectacular season as being “awful and with no hope” in favor of the young guys developing . Yes, I lean to wanting contributors right now.. 2023. Young or old. 
We disagree.. we agree on wanting a championship. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

And you are similarly seeming on a quest against vets who have contributed significantly to this spectacular season as being “awful and with no hope” in favor of the young guys developing . Yes, I lean to wanting contributors right now.. 2023. Young or old. 
We disagree.. we agree on wanting a championship. 

What vets have contributed significantly that I am saying I want gone?

I have said Mateo and Hicks. You believe they have made significant contributions and made them recently enough where they are justifiably staying here over younger, higher upside players?

Spot checking lineups it looks like we haven't yet once seen the LF Hays, CF Mullins, RF Cowser formulation when based on minors and scouting reports some figured Cowser would be clearly better than Santander on the grass.

If Hicks is just a few days away, it would be nice once to see a vs. RHP lineup like

C Adley, SS Gunnar, DH Santander, 1B O'Hearn, LF Hays, CF Mullins, 2B Westburg, RF Cowser, 3B Urias

Though Mountcastle I guess too hot to sit this minute.    Mullins of course will only play 2 out of 3 this weekend.